Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carto brushes - caterpillar ridges and train tracks

Post Carto brushes - caterpillar ridges and train tracks

I was enjoying Vorropohaiah's thread - http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...as-elyden.html and the topic of doing caterpillar style ridges came up. Doing them by hand takes a long time so I thought I'd try to help out there and made some brushes for that. They simulate the look but time will tell if they are completely satisfactory. They were done in PS cs5 so probably not backward compatible, though I'm not sure on that one.

I was also viewing Ilanthar's thread on LA - http://www.cartographersguild.com/to...s-map-wip.html and noticed that the raillines could use some tracks.
    So I made 2 sets of tracks.
    Here's a sample page of what the brushes look like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample 1.jpg 
Views:	787 
Size:	540.1 KB 
ID:	66407
    here's the brushes Brush set 1.zip

edit-new image for the caterpillar brushes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ridge brushes 01.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	898.4 KB 
ID:	66474

[only caveat - don't reupload or combine and distribute with other brushes]
    Would love to see what people do with them. Enjoy.

License info
    These brushes can be used in personal and commercial maps. They are not to be distributed or rebundled with other brushes for distribution elsewhere. If they are used in a commercial map/work it would be nice to get a credit and/or a link back to this thread so others could access them.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 08-11-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Awesome work and very generous! I just used a mesh pattern to do my railroads (and that's why it looks weird the line is not strictly horizontal or vertical), and this is really better. Could you do a GIMP version for those (like me) who doesn't have PS?

I don't use GIMP but I can download it and see if it is the same.
    That would probably be helpful as many Guild user are using GIMP. I'll try that a bit later today.

Ilanthar - I just checked online. It said that if you're using GIMP version 2.4 or later that you should be able to just install PS brushes with no conversion needed.
    Give it a try and see if that works.
    Here's what I found. http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/gim...op-brushes.htm
    Last edited by J.Edward; 08-08-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added link

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Those are awesome! I'm a big fan of caterpillar mountains. Very generous of you to let us use 'em, too. In fact I have a map I'll be starting this weekend that these would be perfect for...

Great. Let me know when you're done Diamond. I'd love to see what you were able to achieve with them.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

these are great. what's the licence on them?

By J. Edward
    It said that if you're using GIMP version 2.4 or later that you should be able to just install PS brushes with no conversion needed.
    Give it a try and see if that works.
    Great! I'll definitely will! You'll see the new railroads on my LA map if it works

Vorro - I edited the first post with a license info thing. As I created them to help you out initially you should feel free to use them freely.
    Same goes to you Ilanthar. I will check the LA map thread.

Others are welcome too. I think the license info is clear enough. Enjoy.

I confirm it works with GIMP... and that I'm a complete noob with that software! I'll have to tame the beast before being able to use your brush, I'm afraid. I'm just unable to do something close to your example right now.... But I'm working on it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast