Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand-drawn map elements

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Post Hand-drawn map elements

I had a request for some of the elements I used in my maps so I thought I would post them here for anyone who so desires.
    I will also add more brushes as and when I have a need for them. But for now, here are the brushes I used on Aronbor here and a bunch of others I have created since.

As well as the tree pack I've also now split the markers into two different brush packs as I want to keep them as uncluttered as possible. So the shaded icons are in one pack and if you want to shade yourself there's an outlined brush pack instead.

Here's an image that shows all the brushes that are currently in the three packs...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Markers_Current.jpg 
Views:	66071 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	19487

Note that all of the above brushes are at their actual size except the castles and trees which have been shrunk quite a lot to keep the image size down.

Here's a layer I made to aid me doing quick forests. I've had to crop it down to fit the filesize requirements of this forum, which is a shame although it's still a big file. (The original is the same size as my current maps, so 3704 * 4400). It's not perfect, there's some banding on it when zoomed out (as can be seen on the thumbnail) but it's nothing too bad. To use it, just add a layer mask to hide it, then paint where your forest need to be and then go around the edges and paint out any unwanted trees.

Name:	Full_forest.png 
Views:	5358 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	19006

I also have a layer with the shadows I use between the trees but this is easy enough to do from scratch.
    I got sidetracked from re-doing my smaller multi-tree forest brushes but I will sort them out one day and will post them up once I'm happy with them.

For the mountains and hills, check out Vhailor27's brushes that were reverse-engineered from the mountains on my Aronbor map here.

Any brushes posted here are free to use for whatever purpose you so desire. A little mention for credit would be nice though.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ramah; 12-14-2009 at 11:48 AM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice, thanks for posting!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You might be giving away the farm here but I'll take em Thanks a lot, bro, for upping these.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    You might be giving away the farm here but I'll take em Thanks a lot, bro, for upping these.
    Hehe. I've seen your sketching, dude. They're nothing you can't do yourself ten times better.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Ramah, thanks a ton for these. It is much appreciated!

Blog Entries

I've edited the first post to include a new image of a full layer of forest to aid in placing quick deciduous forests.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That is absolutely brilliant!!!
    I'm glad i though of that!!

Seriously though, I'm suprised this method hasn't come up before, it really is one of the best ideas i've seen for hand drawn forests.
    **rep** (if it will let me)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

I doubt the method is all that new, it's just that not many people are stupid enough to make an image of that size out of little trees. It's only really worth the time and effort of doing such a thing if you have some large forests you need to put it or if you have lots and lots of forests to do (such as I will have over the series of Vaniya maps I no doubt will do). But once it's done it's done, so hopefully I can now place all my large and medium sized forests really quickly. It will probably still be quicker to do small forests with individual brushes.

Anyway, it wasn't a lot of fun to do I can tell you. Hehe.

Blog Entries

Some new brushes to add that I've made today. I fixed the cottage to make it more iso and then added a bunch of alternative cottages. I fixed the castle to be more iso. I fixed the church a tiny bit to more be more iso. I also added a few tents into the mix.

Name:	Markers2.jpg 
Views:	2243 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	19039

I've uploaded these new brushes into the original post. Sorry that they are in no particular order in the file or mostly unnamed.

Next thing for me to tackle is to fix the perspective of the little city icon and add a bunch of alternative ones. I'll get them posted once I've done them.

Great, thanks for posting. Have some rep!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast