Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refuge V2

The glow on the mountain names is very uneven and this is reducing legibility. The "Land of the Prydonians" is looking great and I think the other labels are serviceable, although the text could be sharper.

Wip Dominion of Ur

Version 2.3

- Added the Dominion of Ur
    - Removed the Blur on the text
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	refuge 32.3.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	489.9 KB 
ID:	19058  
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

The Dominion of Ur has some problems. The first is the labels. The font has the jaggies in many places and there are some kerning problems (In "Ur's Wrath" the gap between "W" and "r" is utterly out of proportion with the rest of the text.) I can't afford CC, so all I can suggest is experimenting with some other fonts.

There are also issues with the rivers. The first thing I noticed about them is that they got thinner downriver in places, where they would normally be thicker, having picked up more water. (Example: the river down to the sea from the Holy City of Ulm has a thinner stroke than either of the forks that come together at the Holy City. Then I got to the eastern river, which either has a clear river violation (running from sea to sea) or else the lower branch to the sea is a rather crooked canal with no nearby urban center to justify it.

Is that supposed to be volcanic fumes rising from the central mountains? I think I'm interpreting correctly now, but my first thought was a canyon or sands of some sort. The color isn't really "volcanic" enough to be clear if I'm right.

Are you going to add a scale, compass rose, or other information? If not, you might put some decorative items or expository text on the water, to keep it from being a vast blankness. Of course, you might want the vast blankness.

By the way, Davros01, have you voted in the latest competition? I figure a guy with that nick is my best chance to actually get a vote, for sentimental reasons, since I did a map of Skaro.

rdanhenry - Sorry, already voted.

Text, i'm working on. its easy to correct, just gotta do it.

A buddy of mine mentioned the volcano. I'll work on it also.

Damn rivers!!!!

Wip prydonia and Ur

Changed fonts, edited my sea to shining sea river. mountain tweaks, reduced glow on text. plus a host of smaller tweaks. There is no scale yet

Name:	REFUGE~2.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	322.3 KB 
ID:	19102  

Wip

The entire world. I need some advice.

Name:	REFUGE~3.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	898.2 KB 
ID:	19210  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it looks pretty interesting, not sure you need as much help as you think.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post its been a while

Alot of changes. I left out the text (although text adds alot to maps) let me know what you guys think?? This style is sort of odd, that I'm trying. Willing to ditch it if it isn't hitting anyones fancy.

thx,
    Marc

Name:	REFUGE v3.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	19733  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No matter what keep it and develop it...people weren't wild about my style at first either. I think it looks pretty good but I'd tighten up the coloring around the mountains and trees...it bleeds out too far I think.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like what you are doing here. I like the mountains. Glad you changed the major glow effect you had going on at the start for the labels.

I liked the more olive color you used on the trees at the start, that bright green to me seems a bit rich for the tone of the map, but then I don't see what you have in your minds eye so maybe you want it vivid. It's definitely not bad as it is.

Is there a reason for the different colors you have now on the forests? I suspect they represent different tree types.

Anyway, don't ditch it, it's taking shape rather nicely I think.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast