Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refuge V2

Question Final Review and choice

alright, i'm into the final steps for both versions of Refuge. The color one, and the brown one. Which of them looks best. or the third option - start over.

1) color is better
    2) brown is better
    3) you're a pinhead, start over and give us something that looks like a map.

thanks,
    Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	refuge final 1.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	639.5 KB 
ID:	19754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	refuge final 2.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	655.3 KB 
ID:	19755  
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Blog Entries

The colour one looks great. Is it Clercon's style from the annual thingy? I like the brown one but I don't think you've got it quite right yet.
    For instance, I don't like the patches of green with the blur around the edges on the brown one. That big computery blur doesn't fit in with the style you are shooting for imo. Whereas on the colour one it fits in just fine.
    I prefer your labelling on the colour one too.

I do prefer a more destaurated, hand-drawn style map myself and I think with some modifications I would prefer the brown one. But for now I'd vote for the colour.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I think Ramah has the gist of it. The color one is easier to read. The names on the brown map sort of overwhelm.

They both have their appeal though so keep up the good work.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I only have two main quibbles with the brown map - the forests around Malwa don't look the other forests in the west, it's kind of pixellated...and the ocean fonts need some tweaking.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Seeing them individually, I had liked the brown one...When you put them side by side and ask me to choose, I prefer the color map over the brown one.

Datagoblin
    Visit my RPG website: http://www.rpgrescue.com/

Wip Last style test

Alright, I gotta get going on my world. I just can't decide, i like so many styles. Here is my last style attempt. going back to the source... Mercatur.

Let me know what you think.

As always thanks, and happy new year
    Marc

Name:	a new world.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	19904  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like this so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Heres my latest. i think its shaping up nicely. i need some critiques

Marc

Name:	a new world.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	19905  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

My main thing is that the land isn't realistic in shape...it's jagged but very straight. It needs a lot more roughness. The other minor thing is that on a world scale that thick black river has a big split in it too far from the coast to be a delta. Over all, though, it looks good in style.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

One thing you might want to consider for your landmass is program called Hugin. I don't know the full ins and outs of it, but you can use it to quickly and easily transform a square image into a hi res stereographic or azimuthal projection of the same image. Naeddyr wrote a short tutorial on how to use Hugin on these forums (link). It's much easier than trying to manually draw in the proper land distortion near the poles

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast