Thread: LOXFREE - A Lakeside City

Wip LOXFREE - A Lakeside City

Hi guys 'n' girls.

Just want to show you a city map I'm working on, in which a good part of the book I'm writing takes place in.
    It sits in the world of Durthaen, a world I have already mapped:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...2&d=1217890882

The city of Loxfree is the largest urban centre in the world, so it needs to be a good size.
    I started by using ArcMap to generate a DEM which I turned into hillshading and pulled into Photoshop to do the rest.
    So far I've got The basic shape set out with a few of the more important buildings and main cobbled roads.

At the moment I'm doing this at 300dpi at a size of 24" X 34", but the photoshop file size has already reached over half a GB. If it starts causing problems I'll have to think about reducing it to half 18" X 24", but I'm hoping I wont have to.

The attached version of Loxfree is a heavilly reduced version to save on downloading time.

Questions and comments most welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LoxfreeCity_27112009.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	18984  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's pretty sweet. I'll have to check out that ArcMap thing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looking pretty sharp. Having just done a city map on the scale of this (bit smaller, I think) I know you've got a lot of work ahead of you. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    M

This is a great looking map! My only negative is the river delta where the smaller river joins the larger one. One of the branches flows upstream into the larger river (the northernmost branch), and that is somewhat unnatural. However, it is done so well that I can ignore that!

The terrain is very impressive. Your overland map is a favorite map of mine here on the guild as well.

Lots of buildings still to place. Good luck with that
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...