Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Milestones

From Ravells' post, above, I got the distinct impression that the project might be "rebooted"? If that's not the case then I'll go try to see if I can figure out what urban areas have not been mapped yet and grab one to play with. I'm still a little in the dark on constraints (as regards creating/modifying items in the campaign world) but I'll make an effort to get up to speed if the information is available in this forum.
    M

That was the thing I was worried about mearrin69 is that it looked like the people that made those maps looked like they put a lot of effort into them and placing the cities on them. I am worried that they have certain ideas about what they should be like and worried about mucking about in someone else's ideas.

Blog Entries

Its true we encourage a view of the wiki to see whats generally in those areas and you get a feel for the place but its an open map. You pick a city not mapped yet and have a go. Its a good idea to match scale and any neighbor maps etc but on the whole theres not a lot of restrictions to it. As you can see from the varied styles of the tiles, there was not a lot of constraints. We have the world as a fractal terrain map and theres a lot of it un mapped. So no it wont be rebooted. There may be new world regions being opened up tho. Noones abandoning the Ansium region. It just might expand a bit or we might decide to carve the whole world up and take on bigger chunks at a large scale and work down in more levels. Each of Ansiums tiles are about 600 miles square so it was big enough to do each of those in my opinion tho. When you zoom in to see the cities at correct scale theres a lot of nothing between the tile and the city. Not many regional maps were done.

So think about what style you have and try to map something with a similar kind of style and work up an area or two. If you do, start a thread in the CWBP area and start the title with "[Region1][Tile7][Map 7] Timbucktoo" or similar to match the others then it will get ripped into the index automatically.

So yeah, get in there and add some maps to it.

Okay. So. I'm in. But somebody help me buy a clue. How do I pick something to map and make sure it's mine to work on? Some specific questions:

* Is there a repository somewhere of who is working on which map or are they all in threads in this sub-forum?
    * I see the land-grab thread for grabbing [Region 1][Map x]. Are there sub-areas in the 600x600 sq. mi. maps that need to be mapped based on what the Map-level mapper put together?
    * Can/should there be more settlements than are noted on the Map-level map?
    * Can I just say, "Okay, I'm mapping the town of Farpoint in The Beastlands [R1][M12]!" and start a thread on it...assuming there's not one already? Or should I coordinate that with the Map-level mapper?

I'm thinking I'd like to maybe start with a small site of some sort (hamlet/village, ruins, monastery, or something similar) and see how that goes. If that works out I'll do more. I just need to know how to get started and I seem to be being incredibly dense about it for some reason. Help?
    M

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    * Is there a repository somewhere of who is working on which map or are they all in threads in this sub-forum?
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/ut...CWBP_Index.htm

* I see the land-grab thread for grabbing [Region 1][Map x]. Are there sub-areas in the 600x600 sq. mi. maps that need to be mapped based on what the Map-level mapper put together?
    You can map any area in a map that hasn't already been mapped.
    * Can/should there be more settlements than are noted on the Map-level map?
    You might contact the original mapper, if he's available, to make sure. But as far as I'm concerned, if it makes sense for it to be there, then by all means put it there. I think it's understood that there are smaller towns and villages that wouldn't show up on the big map, so it'd make sense, at least to me. There are also a few areas with intentionally little or no labeling, just for that reason.

* Can I just say, "Okay, I'm mapping the town of Farpoint in The Beastlands [R1][M12]!" and start a thread on it...assuming there's not one already? Or should I coordinate that with the Map-level mapper?
    Yes! Coordination is a good idea, but not necessarily required I don't think.

Of course, this is all as I see it now. I'm envisioning the CL's to be holding some supersecret meetings to discuss the future of the project, so that may change a bit in the near future. That probably means a lot more wiki-work for me!

-IG

Thanks for that! I had somehow missed the link to the index. Will go digging to see what's up for grabs.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I already did Farpoint. The final is on page three of the thread.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It's all under discussion so NOTHING IS SET IN STONE, but we may start again or amend the project and what you have just said is very helpful in helping us choose what we should do with it. The CWBP is a great concept but we can learn from the first experience. Hang in there and watch this space!
    So, I've been watching this space for the last 5 months... Looks like the idea has stagnated again. Any progress on the CL end?

-IG

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

We haven't discussed anything as of late...real life is catching up with most of us right now and Arcana is on honeymoon.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast