Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEW WIP Sea of Life Region

Really nice! I really like the mountains.

Sorry to be nitpicky but Kag Rhiggin seems to be missing an (r) if it's going to be consistent with the other settlements in Kharolan. I know how easy it is to miss these things, I do it myself all the time .
    Hannibal ante porcos!

Maps
    Eohl Galactic Chart The Shuayie Peninsula

Almost done now!

Fixed a lot of spelling errors(thanks for the help!), and finished up the terrain. I tweaked the colors a bit and like these a little better.

A little bit more labeling and this will be done!

The file size on this was very large and exceeded the file size limit, so I reduced the quality a little to get it to fit. Hopefully it will still be good. If not, I will cut it into two parts and upload individually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region - Sea of Life.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	19275  

One thing that bothers me (a lot) is the hard color transition between many of the rivers and the sea/bay they empty into. For me, Drensalport, Brand, and Valyndara are the worst of the offending locations. but several others as well. I don't know exactly how your layers are arranged, so not sure how much help this would be, but my suggestion would be to to zoom in close and use a small smudge fuzzy smudge, stroking out from the rivers into the sea in a fan pattern. Then follow up with a fuzzy brush with the blur tool to soften the edges more. The only issue is the glow you have around the coastline might get messed up a bit though... of course, you could always go the opposite direction, which works "best" if you have a channel with the coast outlined that includes some or all of the river "channels" for a selection so as to avoid painting back over the landforms... Again, without knowing your layer arrangement, I am not sure exactly what suggestions to make if you want to work on the issue(and if not, it won't hurt my feelings as it is still a nice map...)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice job...I agree with JFJr about the river color, also the border doesn't do much for me (reminds me of a dinner mat), but if you like it then that's all that truly matters.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I don't really like the border either. I just haven't found one that makes happy yet.

I will fiddle with the river mouths a bit to see what I can do.

The more I looked at the rivers, the more I realized how bad the transition was. I fiddled with it a little and ended up lightening the river's colors. I hope this looks better.

I did something with the border, but still not in love with it. I might just do it without a border, or put a thin, single color border around it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region - Sea of Life.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	19318  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Rivers and border are much better...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12