Thread: unsatisfactory mountains

Blog Entries

Post unsatisfactory mountains

Irregardless of the colors or textures i chose, I'd like advice on a problem with mountains i'm encountering.

I can't seem to generate them without a smooth border surrounding them, i suppose i must be feathering the heightfield selection too much. The map i'm working on is intended to be a series of overlays in Auto Realm which i used to generate the landmasses and ocean, here's an Auto Realm shot of the overlay added.

I originally wanted to work with Wilbur heighfields colored using Torq's "Mountain Techniques using Wilbur and Gimp" but the problem i had there was conforming it to my AR map contours.

*edit* most of the heightfield generation was done using RobA's "simple mountains using Gimp" Tut, the darker brown mountain was generated by Wilbur, embossed with the RobA instructions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	19289  
    Last edited by Revock; 12-08-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: referal of techniques used

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Put some forests over the top of the edges of the mountains and it should look fine. Looks pretty good to me otherwise.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I agree with Ascension that it actually looks pretty good.

You are right about the feathering from Torq's tutorial. In my experience thus far you get too much extraneous stuff if you are trying to stay within a pre-defined shape. I'm sure it depends on the overall size and pixel resolution but try 10px feather.

Also with the emboss method, did you remember to bucket fill with 50% gray? I think that doing it twice will get rid of the depression around the mountains. Good luck with it, I too have been struggling with getting mountains I am satisfied with.