Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW WIP Sea of Life Region

Post NEW WIP Sea of Life Region

Started working on a new map for my continent. I am starting to like this style, but have some more tweaks to do. The land is done and the mountains are underway. Right now what is showing for the water is the from the continent map. I cut a section of that map to use to do my basic outline for this map. When I move on, that will be gone.

The area that is most complete is the large island in the center.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Region - Sea of Life.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	19005  

Latest Update!

Map is moving along pretty well now. I will do some more ground color variations, and then I will do one more level of terrain once all of the rivers are in.

Still a little more to do, but the final product is in sight!

Views:	95 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	19052  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Are you Wilburing the rivers? They look pretty nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

No, everything is done in PS. I just try to observe the lay of the land when I do the rivers, and think of how they perform in the "real" world.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely...

About the only 'criticism' I have is that your city labels kind of get lost being just plain, white text.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nearing completion...

I have all of the drawing done. I'm not quite sure if I am happy with the ocean colors yet... Any comments?

I just have some labeling to do, and this will be finished.

I want to do a map border, but I am not sure if I like this one. Any comments/suggestions? I would love to have a border like the one in this excellent map WesterosMap

Views:	87 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	19133  
    Last edited by landorl; 12-02-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Fixed Hyperlink

I like the overall look.

Valey of Kings? Think you want another "l" there.
    The city is a capital; the capitol is the building.
    Also in the key, "associated" is missing an "s".

There are some spots where rivers seem to fade out.

I really like the choice of fonts. They are easy to read and look good at the same time. The different fonts and text treatments seem to go together well, too.

I like the border you have, but the Westeros border would probably look good, too.

Thanks for the spelling corrections. You get close to the end of the map, and start rushing through things and make all kinds of mistakes. Also, I learned something that I missed in school. I always thought that both the city and building were capitol.

Also, some of the rivers that fade in and out were to show that the river often "dries up" in those areas.

I like your map About the comment you made about the ocean color, I think it would be better to make a better transition over the colors. If you used several layers for the different blues, you can modify the saturation, and the hue to made them mix better.

And I love the rivers! They are great! And the transition to desert in the south. How you did them?
    This is the link to my DA page. There's no maps yet, but some photos I would like to show to everyone. If you like one don't be shy and comment. Thank you!

A drawing tablet makes all of the difference! The rivers are done on my Wacom pad. You draw, and you can vary the width by using different pressures on the pad.

The dessert is done much the same way. I set the flow to a very low number (20%), and then use a pretty large brush. I do an initial brush on the borders, and then do extra strokes the farther into the desert I go. It gives a nice, gradual blend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast