Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elosha

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Map Elosha

I started this just to keep in practice but then it morphed into a full-fledged map and the next step in an evolution of style. I'm pretty happy with it and it has become my favorite map...until the next one. The help in the WIP section helped me to polish it off, also pushed me to do more than the initial messin around, so thanks, guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elosha.jpg 
Views:	3102 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	19010  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Yeah. That's nice.

I especially like the little Pyramid icon in the desert

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Holy smokes. That's awesome. The texturing is sublime but the icons and labeling really make it pop for me. Love the map titling as well. Beautiful stuff, as usual.
    M

Guild Apprentice

Great map!

I can't form an opinion on the mountains, though: At a first glance I don't like the colour variation, even though I'm aware that this is one of the things that makes this interesting style so different... on the other hand, I *love* the height map on those mountains. I've been trying to get a good mountain range for almost two weeks now, and I've yet to see a mountain range bump mapping that is as realistic as this one.

Got any tips on how you came up with those mountains? It looks so nice that I can't help but think they were hand drawn

Summing it up, it's a very nice map, and there you'll have some rep for it

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well I cover the basics in my atlas tut and continent tut but for the past few months I've been adding an additional step where I draw ridge lines and bevel that. This particular map has a bunch of artistic filters and touches thrown in for good measure, though. The fonts are: Metal Macabre for the title, Sanctuary for the nations, Jellyka End_less Voyage for the towns, and Jellyka Estrya's Handwriting for the forests and things like that. The lil icons I added to my brush thread here.
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-28-2009 at 01:05 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The Ascendant One strikes again!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That's such a beautiful style. The text looks amazing. I'm surprised that the mix of satellite & hand-drawn map elements so so good, but it really gives the map something extra above everything else.

I don't really like the mountains, though - while everything else looks crisp, they are fuzzy and hard to discern.
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

Blog Entries

Mountains always split opinion it seems. I actually really like the mountains on this one. Your maps have been drifting towards the heavily filtered, even impressionistic style of late, sometimes a little too much so for my taste, but this one walks the line with confidence.
    As I said in the WIP, I love the little icons and they really seem to gel with the watercolour filtering.
    The colour of the border, the sea, the rhumb lines... all suggest to me some influence from Tear, which is always a good thing in my opinion.
    If I have to dig down and find one nitpick then I guess it would be that some of the country labels have parts of their lettering missing which makes them somewhat hard to read, but I suspect this is intentional.

Anyhoos, wonderful map, Ascension.

Edit: I'd rep you but I need to share it around some first.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

This is an excellent map! i love the watercoloresque aspect of it, very interesting, especially with the shadows on the cities and such. A+!

Very nice. Love the icons. Can't rep unfortunately.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast