Thread: Personal Spelunking

Post Personal Spelunking

It occurred to me as I was looking at some of the dungeon maps that I have actually been in caves and explored the "underworld". I was curious if other folks have done so as well, and if they have any caves that they consider their favorites.

My personal favorite are the Kartchner Caverns in Arizona.

http://www.pr.state.az.us/Parks/parkhtml/kartchner.html

One of the few 'living' caverns in the US. They have it hermetically sealed and very strict rules on touring and such. All the other caverns I've been in have been fairly devoid of life and dried out.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

A little UE, but no real spelunking!

-Rob A>

I've been in a few noteworthy caves (and a bunch of unnoteworthy ones). My most memorable ones are Mammoth Caves (Kentucky) and Carlsbad Caverns (New Mexico). Recently I've also been to quite a few places here in Ontario (Canada) where joints and displaced blocks in the face of the Niagara Escarpment produce very interesting short caves and labyrinthine fissures. I'll have to put together a page of photos and upload them. Will post a URL here when I get a chance to do that.

One thing I do have on my site already is an urban "dungeon" that I've explored (a high level adventure, as its both dangerous, and in a dangerous part of town). The abandoned train station in Detroit (Michigan). My photos can be seen here... http://melkot.com/misc/Detroit-station.html
    For those of you who have seen the recent Transformers movie, you may recognize some scenes from the end of the movie! I guess Spielberg and Bay thought it was a pretty cool place, too.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Loads of edition-independent Greyhawk goodness... maps, magic, mysteries, mechanics, and more!

Looks really interesting. Last year my wife and daughter went to Mammoth Caves while we were visiting her parents in Nashville. My son was sick so I stayed with him at the house. From the pictures I saw and stories I heard, it was not very exciting.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldin View Post
    Recently I've also been to quite a few places here in Ontario (Canada) where joints and displaced blocks in the face of the Niagara Escarpment produce very interesting short caves and labyrinthine fissures. I'll have to put together a page of photos and upload them. Will post a URL here when I get a chance to do that.
    Please do! I'm in St. Catharines and have yet to find any even half way caves with the exception of one in the Niagara Gorge found while geocaching, and the man-made tunnel (disturbingly scary) near DeCew Falls (Morningstar Mill) when the door had been vandalized:

It goes nearly 1/4 mile and used to contain large water pipes for the city supply.

-Rob A>

That pic could totally be used for a Horror genre game!

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm no caver...but I'm a big fan of Ted. READ THIS:

http://www.tedthecaver.com/ted/index.htm
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Very entertaining and looooooooooong read.