Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Practice castle

Blog Entries

It's looking great so far. I have no idea what the internal layout of a castle like this would be but who cares? As long as it follows its own internal logic it doesn't have to be historically accurate.

I keep seeing these top down maps on here and it's really making me want to try my hand at one.

Damn you. Hehe.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's what I'm here for, heh heh We got tons of land maps but we need to work on other areas or else we'll become cliche and useless. So if I, or others feel the need to learn and experiment along with me...then great Maybe one of us will put together a good tut to help folks out.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I cut out the junk to focus on the building and that really helped. Mostly fiddled with colors and tweaking places that were not connected, missing, wrong, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2a.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	19082  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

great map. I like the stone floor, the carpets and the stairwells very much. My only suggestion is to scale down the wooden parts of the floor, cause to me it looks like the floor was made of large boards (but maybe thats only me).

Yeah, I've been questioning that myself.

Man there are a million little things to check, double-check, and triple-check. Make sure all the doors aligned properly, make sure they are the same size, make sure they are in the same position in the wall, make sure that the layers are arranged properly...blah. Details, details, details. And each of those little steps takes a long time to check and redo if necessary. If you think cities are tedious wait til you try this. Of course, I'm probably being way too anal and precise about it but, hey, my first one, right?

I've spent the past few evenings doing all of this tedium and finally got to start decorating tonight...added proper fringe for my rugs, did the landscaping, and squared away the throne-room. The next step will be to place windows so that light can fall on the floors (will make a brush of light coming through a window and then "stamp" that all over) and then I'll start putting in torches and candles (simple dots with glows) for light sources and then the furniture (simple square brushes with some roundness tweaks to make them into rectangles).

Kind of fun once you get to this stage but getting to this stage is the hard part. I've used just about every trick I know of to get here (it's all filters, patterns, colors, glows, etc. nothing from Dunjinni or other similar sites) and it looks pretty decent so that makes it all rewarding. The only thing not mine is the patterns (all defaults except for the blocks) and the only things hand-drawn are the walls and doors. It's all very much like Sigurd warns about being "dollhouse" so that worries me a bit...but I use "action figures" instead

Anyway, here's where I am right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2a.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	19205  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

You are, of course, certifiably insane.

I'm all out of unique compliments today, so I'll leave it as just "omg wow".

Keep up the good work

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

It's looking wonderful. It might be taking you some time but it's not wasted.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great stuff here Ascension, though I'll disagree with you and say cities are still much harder.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That's an awesome map, love the way you did the plants/trees. These must be very good tricks indeed to achieve that without any pre-fab objects but only patterns/fills/glows!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast