Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Practice castle

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here's how to do the trees, pretty simple:

1. Using white as the color and a 9-pixel hard round pencil, increase the spacing to 100%, increase the scatter, make a click. What we're looking for here is something like a child's drawing of a cloud. If it doesn't either increase the scatter, the count, or add a few more clicks.

2. Fill a layer with black and move it below the white layer. Click on the white layer and merge down. Filter - brush strokes - spatter = use any setting that you like. This basically roughs up the edges. If it's too rough then hit Filter - noise - median = 2.

3. Select - color range = black with a fuzziness of 200. Hit the delete key and deselect. Add a pattern overlay, color overlay of green, inner glow of black or brown, inner shadow (set the light source to be opposite of the global light source), drop shadow (make the distance large to enhance a "floating" feel), and a textured bevel (I used the defaults "spikey bush" for pattern and "clouds" for texture).

4. New layer, do up clouds, and a bunch of difference clouds. Gradient map a yellow to green gradient, set blend to soft light, and reduce opacity until happy, then mask to fit the tree shape.

5. New layer fill with 400% noise, blur it by 2, set to soft light, lower opacity, and mask it off to fit the tree shape. You can also gradient map colors to this to add some random color spots, I use browns and ochres.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Here's where I'm at right now. Put in some basic rooms (tables, beds, etc) for the staff. Put in a bunch of lights for torches and fireplaces. Toilets have me all messed up so I might have to take out a room here n there for the upper level toilets. Either I'm going to have a lot of empty rooms or else I need to come up with some ideas as to what to put in them or knock down some walls. Since this is the first floor, where mostly staff live and work, I don't want music rooms or studies all over the place...I'm thinking mainly parlour rooms, shrug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2a.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	19243  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is getting better and better... not so sure the barracks would be split up into so many rooms, except for the officers. I think the rest would probably just be a couple of larger rooms. You'll probably want to add an armory somewhere near the barracks as well.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Here's where I'm at right now. Put in some basic rooms (tables, beds, etc) for the staff. Put in a bunch of lights for torches and fireplaces. Toilets have me all messed up so I might have to take out a room here n there for the upper level toilets. Either I'm going to have a lot of empty rooms or else I need to come up with some ideas as to what to put in them or knock down some walls. Since this is the first floor, where mostly staff live and work, I don't want music rooms or studies all over the place...I'm thinking mainly parlour rooms, shrug.
    Is the idea to have running water(or magic)? If not, then have all the garter robes against the outside wall and inset into the building with a 1-2 foot cavity between the room wall and the outer wall. This provides plenty of space for the upper chutes and allows for a single outlet per set of rooms.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

At first I have to say... wow! This map is brilliant. I love it. Ah and btw thx for the short tut on making trees.

Now I also have some ideas to fill the spare rooms:
    Depedning on whether you this is supposed to be a medieval, modern or fantasy castle you might want to add a chapel for the stuff. The stuff might even be socially divided so there may be some rooms for lower servants (e.g. stableman, maidservants etc.) and some rooms, maybe in the other wing for higher servants (e.g. scribes, scholars etc.)
    maybe you want to add some storing rooms next to the kitchen or even have several kitchens (as they often divided the kitchen into several rooms in the middle ages, so they had a bakery, a soup kitchen, a cookshop etc.).

Only suggestions of an unworthy, as always

Good ideas there, guys, thanks. I had forgotten about the chapel and storage is a great idea. The chutes idea has some promise but means I'll have to rework a bunch...nothing new there since I'm reworking everything little by little. Might have to work a standard barracks in instead of what I was planning (fat pampered guards) but maybe I can put the fat pampered captains on an upper level.

Blog Entries

It's looking really great, Ascension. I'm loving watch this one grow and I'm sure the end product will really be worth all the effort you are putting into it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

a great map indeed and getting better and better... and thx for the tutorial on the trees/plants. I also really like the lights/night atmosphere. As for rooms, not sure what they'd need more: maybe a laundry, hospital and some guest rooms. Small request from a smoker: can the smoking lounge have a chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    This is getting better and better... not so sure the barracks would be split up into so many rooms, except for the officers. I think the rest would probably just be a couple of larger rooms. You'll probably want to add an armory somewhere near the barracks as well.
    Yeah, I'd be saying you need to convert a number of those small rooms into significantly larger rooms for barracks. There should be a separate barracks for pages/squires for the proper men-at-arms.

Also maintaining chainmail/armour requires some significant workspace and most of the soldiers would do it themselves or have the pages/squires do it.
    (Chews up another room).

You'd have a Weaponry and an Armoury I'd also suspect and potentially a practice hall (chewing up more space).

The only people likely to get private rooms would be the Captain of the Guard and maybe the Sergeant at Arms.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast