Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Practice castle

My mouth has just dropped open with total awe! I'm still trying to work out how to do realistic lighting effects in photoshop, it looks like that you have already mastered what I am seeking to accomplish.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

What I've noticed about the lighting is getting the color just right combined with the blend mode. What I did was to make a brush for the fireplace lights, the angled things. Stamp a bunch of those down in any color. Set the fill to zero then fiddle with the color overlay layer style...I used a medium orange set to screen and then turned the opacity down. The torches were just a soft round brush. Then I blurred the whole thing to soften the edges. On a new layer I made the lighter colors that are closer to the light source for the fireplaces and torches, a light yellow-orange, and then set that to screen and turned the opacity down. So it's all just 2 layers, one orange and one yellow-orange. After I put in all of the lights I had to darken up the outside stuff cuz who runs torches and fireplaces at noon? Just didn't look right so I made it a night scene and that helps to set the mood.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ascension,

Great looking map. The only question I have is it a moat and baily type casle. If so, on your overhead view, I would show it as a steep include hill where the actual castle is.

Just an idea.

Great details by the way
    Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I wanted it to be a castle (not a motte-and-bailey but moated) but it sort of morphed into a palatial estate. I cropped out the moat and surrounding environs because it took up too much space and I wanted the focus to be on the structure...you can see it in the earlier posts. I need to get back to this and finish it and maybe when it's all done do an overhead of the whole thing with moat n stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Holey Moley, I've just seen this too after a long time of not having looked at the thread. It's simply beautiful and atmospheric. I can just imagine sitting in that banqueting hall and throwing a chicken bone over my shoulder!

Great work Ascension!!! I particularly love the atmosphere you've created.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345