Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Practice castle

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip Practice castle

I've never really done structures to any great extent - just some messin around in SketchUp. But that's why I need to expand and practice, right? I don't know the first thing about how they were really laid out, I'm just going with my gut and arranging things how I feel. This WIP will be more of a journey as I learn how to do structures so I will need a lot of feedback about layout, what works and what doesn't, scale, etc. Hope you all don't mind
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	561.6 KB 
ID:	19038  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I look forward to following along thanks for letting us watch!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks good. At the moment this sees to be more of a manor house than a castle, but a truly amazing manor house at that. I'd make sure there is some form of guard house at the front door and any other entrances. Also, I'd suggest some walls along the side of the moat. A moat is fine and well but all it takes is a few bits of wood and the enemy are inside.

I like the east wing with the trophy room and the library. Do you have specific thoughts about how well defended this should be?

So here's where I am now. I spent the day using a 20-pixel hard square pencil making rooms; 10, 8 and 5 for the halls, and then tracing walls with a 1 or 2 pixel pencil. Separate everything into layers, increased the image size, and gave them some styles and shadows. The moat needs work but I haven't worked on it very much cuz my focus is architecture right now. Technical work like this takes a long time for me cuz I obsess over the details..."this wall is 1 pixel off so I have to redo everything" kind of obsession.

The stairs were fun, though. Make a circle, give it a gradient overlay with a style of angle, flatten it out, then copy and past it into the other stairwells. A little black pencil to define the steps further then mess with the blend mode. I can see myself doing all sorts of pixel tables and pixel wardrobes and pixel desks...I'm like that sometimes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2a.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	19053  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Looks amazing so far

the only thing i've noticed that seems odd is the front gatehouse is missing the shadows on the southern half.

Everything else is looking amazing. I noticed in your pencil sketch that you seem to have plans for a basement level, will this have multiple upper story levels as well?

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

aye looking pretty cool indeed. great textures. maybe a small comment: the stone-floor texture is seamless but due to its color seems very repetetive in the main hall and circular-road

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looking good. There's some funny shadowing around the paved approach to the southern drawbridge. Otherwise very nice. And I know what you mean about pixel perfect features - it's a killer.

That circle drive and shadow screw-up are on my list of things to do near the end...thanks guys. I'm thinking that I'll dump the whole grass and curtain wall so that I can work more on the castle/manor itself in greater detail. Live and learn, eh? I'll probably upload the patterns and layer styles at the end as well, just remind me if I forget.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast