Thread: Shining Effect

Post Shining Effect

I've been away for so long, but in the time of need
    there's only one place to go, cartographer's guild (oh look, it rhymes)
    Good to be back.

So my 2 questions are about photoshop.
    1. Can anyone provide a quick way to create the shining effect from the sun in photos?

2. Sometimes when the sun falls on a window creates an elliptical shape with rainbow colors. Do you have any hint about how to create it.

Samples of the effects in the two pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-11-26_175109.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	18976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-11-26_175337.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	18977  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I believe those are referred to as lens flares.

Photoshop has a few basic ones built in, but there are a few plugin filters that make nice ones. One of the Kai's Powertool plugins has a very configurable (and highly recommended) filter for that, but last I checked it would cost a bit of money.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time right now to do a comprehensive search to give a list, but http://www.google.com/search?q=lens+...ugin+photoshop will give you a good start..

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Airbrushing, blend modes, gradients, or opacity tweaks is what I would use. I do just about zero photo work, though...very rarely on stuff for my sis and nieces.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah, lens flare plug-in should get you most of the way there. A large, soft paintbrush with low opacity would let you do it by hand as well. For the rainbow effect I'd use a gradient and opacity/blend modes.
    M

Thank you all. By mentioning the name of the effect you've saved me a lot of time.
    I finally managed to have an effect very close to what I wanted. Sorry for the delayed answer but lately work doesn't leave much free time.