Thread: My First Map

Wip My First Map

This is my first attempt at mapping, doing a map for a story that I'm thinking on writing. I'm pretty much of a GIMP-newbie but I have had some great help from kjdavies Artistic Regional Map tutorial. However, I'm stuck at the moment. I have been trying several times now to get forests unto the map but everytime I try I fail misserably. I just can't get forest part of the tutorial to work. So I you have any ideas or tips on what to do I would greatly appreaciate them.

/hyperion83
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	19044  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I would do for forests what you have for dirt but use a dark green.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Good start. I would work on the coast a bit. It looks a little too rounded to me.
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Great start, and looking good so far. Make sure that you check out the tutorials on this site because there are a lot of good tuts to help you increase your skills.

I agree with Davros01 about the coastline. I like your mountains, they look good.

Ok I decided to try Ascension's tip about making the forests the same way i did the dirt. So I did that, just added a bit more depth to the bumpmap to get a little more texture to it, and i'm quite pleased with the results. It may not the perfect but I think it will do for my needs. What do you think?

I think you guys might be right about the coast needing some extra tweaking. I will see what I will do about that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	300.9 KB 
ID:	19103  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

for what it's worth, those areas look forested to me . Coming along nicely!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Last thing about the forests, make em a lil bit darker so that they don't blend into the land.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps