Thread: A tentative attempt at hemispherical map

Wip A tentative attempt at hemispherical map

I recently discovered the joy of the warp tool in photoshop and while playing around with it I threw together a very incomplete map of my world as viewed from the poles. The left-hand circle is the southern hemisphere and the right-hand is the northern.

I'm pretty happy with the general look of things though it lacks enough land masses at present and I'm not sure where to place them at the moment. I know the ocean counter-clockwise of the largish continent in the south has a number of scattered islands that I've only just begun to work on in terms of mapping, so there is something, but the northern hemisphere is giving me some pause as to the placement of heretofore unknown landmasses.

Also, I will be adding major terrain features such as mountains and the more important rivers once I find a good archaic looking way of doing that. Countries as well, might make an appearance.

Any ideas, advice, critiques, and the like are, of course, welcome.

--

Damn: hemispherical, the title should read "hemispherical map". The joys of not looking over one's writing . . . .yeesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	19045  
    Last edited by Sular; 11-29-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: noting a mistake of monumental proportions

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks like a good base for a great map.
    I would like to know: how did you create this with the warp tool?
    My recent map I did in this style was made with rulers to get the right look.

The warping was done is a very impressionistic way really. I took my various continent maps which were drawn more or less is some unknown and possibly rectangular projection (read: no projection was taken into account at all) and cut them apart at the equator. I then used the warp tool to distort the land masses so that they would approximate the shape they would appear as in such a map. So, it's not a wildly accurate means of doing this, but it gives a fairly descent idea of a world map of this sort.

As to grid-lines, I hadn't really though about them. Eventually it would be nice to include some fashion of grid or other coordinate system, but I'm honestly not sure when, or if, I'll get around to it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Post An attempt at Woodcut stylings

I've done some work on this map, mostly in attempting to create a more antiquated style. I'm fairly pleased with the woodcutting, though the rest of it is a bit on the dull side. The only major problem with the woodcut is that it looks a little funky on the larger map and I'm not sure how to repair that.

Still, for beginning with no idea how to make a decent woodcut pattern, it came out better than I thought.

Name:	the vodazza woodcut.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	362.7 KB 
ID:	19909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world-woodcut.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	551.0 KB 
ID:	19910  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think that's an interesting effect. It certainly doesn't look computer-generated and that's a good thing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks Ascension. It took a lot of time playing with making tiled patterns and then using those with brushes. I'd never made a pattern before so it was somewhat frustrating getting it to look descent.

Once I had the pattern and a descent brush, applying the woodcut effect was only a matter of painting it on to a layer below the land. Tedious but not difficult.

--
    Also, a minor update, now with preliminary mountains and major rivers. The mountains were drawn in photoshop, then made into a brush and played with to get their current shape and size.

I'll probably re do them (adding more mountain icon variants and so on), and the rivers are really just place holders till I try to draw them in with the aid of a tablet. But, all things considered, I'm pretty happy with the way this version is shaping up

Name:	thevodazzawoodcut.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	671.1 KB 
ID:	19919  

Update to the woodcut draft maps. Now with light politics!

I think I might need to reduce the opacity of the mountains for this, but this is more of a style test than a final map.

Name:	vodazzapoliticaltest.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	881.5 KB 
ID:	19965