Thread: A call for help

Help A call for help

Hello everyone. I've joined up to ask for some assistance. My friends and I have decided to start playing D&D together, and I'm DM. Unfortunately, we aren't able to hang out that often. I figured that I might be able to find something on the internet, and I was able to find the D&D Maptool. Unfortunately, it didn't work exactly as I had hoped. I was lucky, though. I was able to find out about this website with it. I'm hoping someone can direct me to a program that can make maps using tiles set on a grid. It would be a great help. Thank you!

Welcome... I don't play D&D at the moment, so I can't help you. There are certainly people on here who play D&D and use computer tools. Let's see if one passes by
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Maptool is capable of using a tile-based approach to mapping, but you'll need to find the resources. Check around in the Mapping Elements section; I know there are a few threads in there with tiles you can use, and Torstan made a set of map objects that can be used to build dungeons of any size and shape. Also, there was a mapping challenge a while back that resulted in several sets of tiles, so look back through the challenges forum too.

That said, Maptool isn't really so much a map-making tool as it is a game interface. It can certainly be used to build the maps, if you have the tiles, but there are other programs that might do it better. Dungeonforge comes to mind—I think it's a tile-based mapper, but I've never used it, so I'm not sure.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hi and welcome Slag52.

The more info we have about your needs, the more able we'll be to help. What exactly do you want from your tile mapper?

I've used Dungeonforge. It's basic, but it produces useable maps quickly and comes with a host of downloadable tile elements. If you use it in 20x20 pixel format you may be able to produce your own tiles with very little artistic talent. If you use it in larger format, I believe you can import tilesets created for Dundjinni, which is the other tilemapper I would suggest.
    Dungeonforge is free, Dundjinni isn't.

I haven't used Dundjinni or Maptools myself, but I think they and Dungeonforge all do pretty similar things - hence I'm curious to know the nature of your dissatisfaction with Maptools.
    Viewingdale is another alternative to Maptools, but again, it's not free.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Maptool can certainly handle what you'd like to do - as long as you have the tile images already. Are you wanting to use the Wizards tiles for their adventures? Or are you a Pathfinder/3.5 player?

I just recently started messing with maptool myself but did you download all the free tiles and characters it offers?

Open up Maptool and go:

File>Add Resource to Library - this pops up a new window
    Click on the Red Gear with the Sword and select whatever tile pack you want. I downloaded them all.

These will d/l to your version of MapTool and you can then use them to create maps.

They also have some nice little video tutorials that I just started which are really helpful.

Now you know as much as I do about MapTools...wasn't much was it? Hopefully, it will do what you want. I know the first time I looked at it I gave up as well until I watched a little video of someone actually using it. Now I want to see if I can use it as well.

If you are wanting to create worldmaps however, then yeah, I don't think MapTool is the right one for you.

I came across this table of VTTs that you might be interested in checking out...took a while to load tho (slow website I guess).

Hope that helps!

Much thanks to you all. I'm sorry it has taken so long to respond, as I have been very busy all week. My satisfaction with Maptools mostly comes from a misunderstanding of the program. I was hoping for a tool with which I could design a location individual tile by tile, with a number of options as to what kind. I also have little understanding of how to place things on the board. I've downloaded the extra pieces and I'll try to find some tutorials on it, as it may be useful in starting a non-contact D&D game. I'm going to try Dungeonforge, and maybe Dundjinni. And to Torstan, I'm playing Wizards 3.5, but with numerous homebrew modifications and expansion books, such as the Book of Vile Darkness and possibly the Book of Erotic Fantasy. We're going to have a very interesting game. Once again, thank you all.

Guild Journeyer MadCartographer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slag52 View Post
    Hello everyone. I've joined up to ask for some assistance. My friends and I have decided to start playing D&D together, and I'm DM. Unfortunately, we aren't able to hang out that often. I figured that I might be able to find something on the internet, and I was able to find the D&D Maptool. Unfortunately, it didn't work exactly as I had hoped. I was lucky, though. I was able to find out about this website with it. I'm hoping someone can direct me to a program that can make maps using tiles set on a grid. It would be a great help. Thank you!
    Slag52,
    I play D&D online via a VTT (Virtual Table Top) app called ScreenMonkey by NBOS.
    http://www.nbos.com/products/screenm...reenmonkey.htm
    It's only 34.95, and very simple to use. There is also a "Free" scaled down version of SM on the site if you want to down load it and test it out.

I can also let you have a "tour" of my full version, just let me know if your intrested.

My D&D site:
    http://www.mstsls.com/ls/fr/

Contact me on AIM or Yahoo IM, My nick is MadCartographer on both.

Have a look at SM, it's simple and only the GM needs to purchase it, the players all connect via a browser, preferable IE because other browsers may not have all the functions as IE does.

MadCartographer
    _________
    User of:
    CC2 & CC3, FT Pro Exclusively.
    If it's ProFantasy, I'm using it.