Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Torentine Empire: my li'l corner of a fictional world

I'm just so dagum slackjawed in awe at this. Absolutely professional looking.

Good work there plundering a fallen empire to beautify your map.

Looks like quite a cultural mix in the names. Is there story behind the naming or is it just to give different areas a different feel?

It's looking really good! Though I'm being a little put of by the WIDE range of names from languages that aren't even remotely in the same language group. It makes the illusion of a different (credible) world vanish. It's mostly the meso-american names, they seem very out of place next to romanesque names.

That's just my two cents, otherwise this is shaping up nicely!
    Hannibal ante porcos!

Maps
    Eohl Galactic Chart The Shuayie Peninsula

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along very nicely...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Info naming hodgepodge

Andartar: Yes, I know the ethnic make-up is a bit confusing but that shouldn't make it too less credible. A very brief explanation;

Continent: Lusitierra
    Current Year: 2119CE

600's CE: Several "lucky" groups of Pirachwan immigrants (a proto-meso-american analogue) fleeing the brutal Tontorec (another proto-meso-american analogue) marauders successfully make the long crossing to the empty continent and land of their legends from the continent of Samir, one landing at the Hattara archipelago and a very small group landing near present day Victoria.

800's CE: The inhabitants of Lusitierra, now begin referring to themselves as Minalotl. The Hattaran group begin to outgrow the small arid ecosystem of the Hattara and make permanent settlements on the mainland as well.

1000's CE: With a familiar feudal system (much like that of their Pirachwan anscestors) firmly re-established and unlimited resources, the Lusitierrans flourish and spread out along the southeast coast and along the Acatl-Xochitl river valley and take on more individual identities, names.

1100's CE: Now having distinctive territorial divisions, tribal cultures and dialects begin to vary. In command of their respective cache of resources, regional wealth gives rise to a thriving inter-city trading network. While having adhered to a similar city-state dynamic as their ancestors, the Lusitierran cities until now have remained relatively simplified versions of the great cities of Samir with few stone structures. Growing manpower and developing carving styles helps to prompt a tradition of competitive building between tribes. A style of minimally violent pageant-warfare has also been developing which gives the ambitious chieftans another outlet to exercise their ego's as well as solve disputes.

1200s CE: Etrurian (romanesque) explorer Ferdinand Lusiora is the first person from the continent of Danetia (that's where the kindgom of Torent is-upper right). Etrurian immigrants (as well as others) establish the Kingdom of Aspenia on the southwestern portion of Lusitierra, they will develop (in time) to the hispanic analogue. Antara (the largest empire on the planet at the time and also romanesque) charges the Baron of Torentine with the task of cementing claims to the continent.

Anyhow.. you get the picture....

The now "indigenous" meso-american anaolgue people (by now grouped greater tribal affiliations of the Zapalatec, Tocitec and Ixtalpatec) are crowded out by the ambitions of the Antaran-Tor's from the northeast and the Aspenish (etrurians) from the west. Populations eventually concentrate in highlands where the have been merely an oppressed minority of Fernandina until recently and are now protectorates of Torentine.

The very small group that landed far to the east never develops into the city-centric state model and becomes more lightly dispersed in the northeast region. These will become the Pasco, Siskiwit, Ilkwejo and Wendigo.. Eventually some of them intermingle with the southern groups about 100 years before the colonial period.

Torentine.. while not originally part of the romanesque analogue... (had early influences from several groups).. it was a part of the Antaran Empire from 700s to 1800 therefore greatly adapted that culture while still having some individuality which may or may not be reflected in the names.

There was also a Russian analogue period of colonization in the region of Odessa (after aspenish rule).

Hope that makes it more feasible for you I like questions as there are still (inevitably) gaps in history that can be filled by answering them.

This map just covers the colonial expansion of Torentine....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torentine-Growth-Map.jpg 
Views:	795 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	19156  
    Last edited by a2area; 12-03-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Then it's is no problem at all , I just wondered because I recognised a lot of city names from this world (earth) and thought you had just added them (the meso-american names) for exotic flair. But as you obviously have a backstory that is just as feasable as anything that could have happened in history I have no further objections (I really didn't have any in the first place either just curious).

I like this serious type of geo-fiction and history building.
    Last edited by Andartar; 12-03-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Cleared up what I meant
    Hannibal ante porcos!

Maps
    Eohl Galactic Chart The Shuayie Peninsula

Quote Originally Posted by Andartar View Post
    I like this serious type of geo-fiction and history building.
    No problem.. like i say.. questions are good. This type of geo-fiction is cool... but it's challenging and can be overly time consuming if you don't set priorities. That makes it all the more fun to certain types of people. Although, a "problem" we (rarely) have encountered are players who want to catapult the world into fantasy realms which is great in its own right but isn't what this planet is about. Not at all a strict atmosphere, to the contrary.. just some realist guidelines (laws of physics and all that!).

Wip Nearly there...

whew! almost done with this one but i might lose my mind (or eyesight) first. some minor adjustments and a key and it will be ready for the finished file. after that is the topography map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POLITICAL_NO_KEY.jpg 
Views:	858 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	19242  
    Last edited by a2area; 12-06-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's a yummy-looking map. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice job...very 'atlas-y'
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast