Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Torentine Empire: my li'l corner of a fictional world

Wip Torentine Empire: my li'l corner of a fictional world

Everyone's a sucker for the old "world at night" look so i couldn't resist

I made these maps of the region of the Torentine Empire, my geofiction nation. I took inspiration from the "Making maps in Photoshop" Tutorial by jezelf and the "Atlas Walkthrough [Fractal Terrains & Illustrator]" by HandsomeRob. While fractal terrains was used to create the base world it doesn't factor in directly here. In this case I used Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop CS3.

I am new to the forum so i will have to set up an album or something(?)... then when they are all polished and pretty (a border, key, graticule, depth and distance scales and all that stuff) I will post the final results.

Brian

PS... love this site, I can't believe I never ran across it until recently?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tor_topo_100pct.png 
Views:	1348 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	19048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tor_land_100pct.png 
Views:	1104 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	19049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tor_political_100pct.png 
Views:	1595 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	19051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tor_satellite_day_100pct.png 
Views:	1121 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	19056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tor_night_100pct.png 
Views:	1266 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	19057  

Last edited by a2area; 11-30-2009 at 03:00 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

These are great. Not sure which one I like more. Very well done.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I really like the night time and political maps! I think you've got a slight river infraction (a river that splits into two) in the south part just above Piquier, other than that I love it!
    Hannibal ante porcos!

Maps
    Eohl Galactic Chart The Shuayie Peninsula

awww.. you noticed my retarded river delta.. there's a perfectly simple explanation for why it's like that and that is how it's going to stay for sanity's sake (mine). I actually was going to change it but i thought hey.. it's different.. it could happen on that planet

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Hey hey, a fellow Michigander! These are all great, very modern atlas-y.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, looking forward to the final versions.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Indeed, good looking maps there. I like the variety.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

*Whistles* Oh man! Those are some awesome maps!
    The night-time map is my favourite.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

These maps are pretty amazing. They are all quite impressive and very professional. (although I do feel a little soiled after complimenting someone from Ann Arbor, Michigan )
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Post Thanks for the compliments

Map-making has been my hobby since I can remember. I would spend countless hours on the floor expanding my maps of graph paper and tape (sometimes even keeping a running census) or using all sorts of materials to creat 3d maps (ever tried cutting erasers?!).

Most of these "tangible" maps have long since met a tragic fate but still have a few remnants or photos that I can share here sometime. I am actually refurbishing a poster-board and papier mâché city that I'd even previously salvaged and re-constructed after my parent's cat used it as a scratching-post and bed.

Anyway, all of this knowledge of fellow mappers collected in one place will have a huge part to play in the quality of map I create from here on out and starting with these. I'll try to give credit for any inspiration and eventually, if-and-when I can organize my thoughts for long enough, maybe even create a tutorial for something

cereth: the compliment will make up for Michigan losing to you guys... again

wormspeaker: i built these on many (did i say many?) layers so each aspect/effect can be adjusted which allows endless variety. One of my aims for this project when finished (and a reason for the many test shades of relief maps here) is to have an atlas style topo/land-use map that will accept small text and still be legible.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast