Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I could be ruined

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

My wife is up to the stage where she will point out nice textures to take pictures of

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Then you start taking pictures of sand and concrete cracks and tree bark thinking to yourself, these are going to make some nice textures, but everyone else thinks your nuts.
    LOL! I do that all the time. When I'm downtown (Toronto), tourists will be walking around talking pictures of the buildings and various locations and there is me with my camera taking pictures of the sidewalk, the grass, the brick work on a building, the various stone work, etc. for the textures. I've gotten a few weird stares as people stand back to get a picture of a building and I walk up close and take a picture of a blank wall.

While I don't spend too much time thinking how could I reproduce an effect I see in the real world, I do draw a lot of my inspiration from the world around me. I can look at the cracks in the pavement and suddenly think 'hey they would make a good cavern map.' Or look at a light fixture and think it would make a cool dungeon design. That sort of thing.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I see faces...everywhere. My linoleum floor in the bathroom, the marble in the shower, my wooden work table...everywhere. I keep telling myself that I need to draw them but I never see them twice. That wrought iron is a great tip...I use that stuff a lot for inspiration in my glass work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

After smirking at these comments I get a demand from my wife for whats all the fuss so I had to read some out. She demands that I point out that she painted some textures for my maps & stuff... oh and fetches good pot plants in garden centers for me to get top down shots of... and she has more OS maps than I do - at the 25K scale too I am reminded...

Personally I think she got a gold star when I heard "Why the hell does flash 10 never work properly on Ubuntu".

Ahhh

I see faces...everywhere. My linoleum floor in the bathroom, the marble in the shower, my wooden work table...everywhere. I keep telling myself that I need to draw them but I never see them twice. That wrought iron is a great tip...I use that stuff a lot for inspiration in my glass work.
    I do the exact same thing. Pareidolia is a wonderful thing.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Oh man, you guys have me rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    good pot plants in garden centers for me to get top down shots of...
    What an awesome idea. I am so going out to my wife's garden and getting some shots...I just better not step on anything or you guys might not hear from me again

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I see faces...everywhere.
    I think they have medicine for this...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

I have to comment here though I am new enough to not have many of these "problems" yet. I just got off a 16 hour shift and this thread has me laughing so hard my sides hurt. Man, this community is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    ... oh and fetches good pot plants in garden centers for me to get top down shots of...
    Surely you mean "potted"

Yeah, I have the same bug as you guys.
    M

Blog Entries

LOL yeah potted - our garden centers would be packed out with visitors and all the plants would be stripped bare to twigs.

I shall get back to watching the snow pitch, smoothing my cat, taking my daps off and tending to my scraged knee etc etc...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast