Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Imperial City of Karnagh

I'd be tempted to make the colouring either: pastel pencil-style or ink-brush style.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

thanks guys. I totally agree with you Ascension that the texture doesnt match the drawing style at all. I've been struggling with color schemes and can't really get it right yet Juggernaut, I'm not sure what you mean with pastel-pencil or ink-brush, maybe you have some example/reference? (hehe, am going crazy on this). Here 2 color-syles (the 2nd one is like the previous one but the textures softened out) am currently working on .. I also shaded each building... not there yet by long tho
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled2.jpg 
Views:	2561 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	19265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled3.jpg 
Views:	3095 
Size:	767.3 KB 
ID:	19266  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The one on the left is visually striking and nice. The one on the right is also nice (I like em both equally) but the grass pattern has a repeat noticeable along the bottom...sort of an erased line or something running horizontally (probably from a smudged-edge pattern after off-setting for tiling).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Djek:

Pencil-ish style I meant
    http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/maps...4agnese640.jpg

Painted style:
    http://www.zazzle.com.au/pd/realview...ct%3D1&dim=836

Something like these. I'm not saying change the style of your map in a fundamental way, just maybe change how you are filling the sections of the map.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

I'm voting for the one on the left. Looks sweet. I liked your brighter colors while you were working on it but I think the one on the left looks a bit more "high-scale" (as one friend of mine says).
    M

Very sweet map. The intricacy of the buildings really draws me in. I would second (or third) the vote for the one on the left, though I think that you need to dull the green of the palace gardens to a more olive tone. It still stands out a bit too much. At least on my monitor.

Some of the buildings are complete turret and dome insanity (not necessarily in a bad way). How do you see the architecture of this city appearing in elevation?
    _ben

I agree: the one of the left is better, although both look good. With the muted colors, the city comes together as a whole, whereas the bright colors tend to break it up into individual buildings. I'd use the one of these on the right if I wanted to make that walled (palace?) complex prominent for some reason.

Thanks guys. Juggernaut, that 1st one (pencil style) is exactly what i was looking for. First attempt was a disaster but i'll get it with some more practise . As for the architecture, tbh i havent given it much thought, maybe i'll do a little 3d model of one of the buildings... Just wish i had more time this month as i also want to enter the monthly competition but only have one week to finish that before my holidays.. guess i'll continue on this one next year

This is really nice man. I like the one on the left as well except I think I would prefer the water to have a blue tone. It looks pretty green to me but there are places that have green water so...

I just don't like green water which may have more to do with being involved in the swimming pool industry. Green tells me you probably have a phosphate issue

If you go green you could also try brown as there are lots of rivers that are muddy like that. Who knows, it might look good.

Good job man, I'm diggin it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

How many people would you guys estimate can live in this place?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast