This is a regional map in "satellite style" I created for the purpose to find my own mapping style with GIMP.
The WIP thread for the map (and its predecessors) is here.
Attached you not only find the map but also a fast sketch I did before for comparison. One important thing for me is having control over the mapping process, reduce the random elements as far as possible and get every thing in the place I want it to be. So if you compare the sketch and the finished map, this is achieved. The forests may be a bit larger because of the process for more realistic forest edges and I created an additional lake and river, but this is it.
This map doesn't belong to any campaign, I just made everything up during creation.
I want to thank everyone who helped me learning GIMP and creating the map:
- RobA for his famous regional map tutorial and his great mountain tutorial
- jezelf for this tutorial where I learned a lot about hightmaps
- Pasis tutorial, where learned about towns and cities
- Ascensions atlas style tutorial and especially Gidde's GIMP conversion of it.
- The people in this texture thread, where I got all the great textures from
- ravells for his forest boundaries
- and all the people in the WIP thread for their advice!