Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maps in books (and author worldbuilding skills)

Wow--his water/ocean shading is absolutely wonderful! I am so going to rip him off! Good find, Eilathen!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Ya, the water effect is great, I going to rip of pyrandon's idea of ripping him off... sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Hey, i found a new map to share

The author is Alison Croggon, an australian writer. Very tolkien-ish...as i understand, the novel is very lyrical...but i have not read it yet. Just thought i'd show you this and see what you pros had to say
    I love this map, the general feeling and the way he did the scroll.

I sure a color version could come out just great.

Right now I'm reading through the Shannara series (Terry Brooks) and I think the map and setting is good, not the best but still good. The map delivers the info but the style is poor.

I just want to say that R. Jordan got a great world setting (to complexes in the last few books IMHO), but is map just suck: too plain and empty of key location found in the books.

I prefer the series Sword of truth from Terry Goodkind even if the first few books are kind of a rip-off from Jordan. I just can remember the map quality, sorry.

Another series that is great and easy to read is Robin Hobb (The Farseer Trilogy), but the map just poor.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Quote Originally Posted by alucard339 View Post
    I just want to say that R. Jordan got a great world setting (to complexes in the last few books IMHO), but is map just suck: too plain and empty of key location found in the books.
    The Edil map does remind me of the Jordan WoT maps stylistically.

(I just re-read the entire Jordan series and also found it getting mired in the details for books 8-10 but 11 improves dramatically.) I do like they way they include maps of the cities scattered though the book at the start of certain chapters. In book 11, the 2 page spread map of Malden and the surrounding regions (before chapter 28 ) was perfect for helping to explain the action that follows.

-Rob A>

Post OT: WoT

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The Edil map does remind me of the Jordan WoT maps stylistically.

(I just re-read the entire Jordan series and also found it getting mired in the details for books 8-10 but 11 improves dramatically.) I do like they way they include maps of the cities scattered though the book at the start of certain chapters. In book 11, the 2 page spread map of Malden and the surrounding regions (before chapter 28 ) was perfect for helping to explain the action that follows.

-Rob A>
    Of course, the real problem with WoT is that Robert Jordan died. But it does appear that the last book was in the works at the time and will be finished (Dragonmount Official Robert Jordan blog).
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

I liked the maps in the Farseer and Liveships trilogies by Robin Hobb. They're kinda simple though.

The map in the Soldier Son trilogy is pretty rad, and the names that Hobb uses for place names are certainly bangable.
    Last edited by sweatyboyy; 01-17-2012 at 10:20 PM.

If you look at the post dates - this is a really old thread. I haven't seen RichardB in the guild since that time. Most likely the site that was posted at is long gone. I don't think we can help you.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member

Still around... just not checking in much. Still mapping - getting better all the time!

Good to see you RichardB - hows CC3 mapping going for you, or are you still using CC2?
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theendofciv.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	41324

Been using CC3 since it came out, having fun with style packs, and using complex layering. Above example is on profantasy site for anyone that wants to download and play with. I like that style. (not complex, just using a style from the annuals).
    Last edited by Richardb; 01-18-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast