Thread: Ye Olde Map of Pomeriland (WIP)

Post Ye Olde Map of Pomeriland (WIP)

Last week a muse came to be and I wound up creating this map.

I was wondering if the good denizens of the Guild had any comments and/or criticisms about the map.

EDIT: For some reason my map won't upload... At any rate, here's a link to the pic uploaded on my Deviant Art account. - http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs50/f/20...mental_Elf.jpg

EDIT #2: Here's the map I uploaded down below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pomeriland small.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	19091  
    Last edited by elemental_elf; 12-01-2009 at 06:57 AM.

that's a pretty cool map. I like the land-shape a lot. I think the map is too big too upload (check in the upload dialog, the max size is around 4mb i think). The terrain icons look nice but a little pixelated, so (unless that was your intention) you may want to blur them a little. cheers

Nice start, but I see a river violation in the center lakes - all connected and draining to the sea on both sides of the continent.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good eye Ghost, I didn't catch it the first time. Gotta get RobA to deputize ya. You have a giant lake shaped like a big L but turned...I'd cut that lake off from the chain.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Djekspek View Post
    that's a pretty cool map. I like the land-shape a lot. I think the map is too big too upload (check in the upload dialog, the max size is around 4mb i think). The terrain icons look nice but a little pixelated, so (unless that was your intention) you may want to blur them a little. cheers
    Thank you!

I do believe that is the problem, when I get home I'll downsize the map so people can have an uploaded preview

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    Nice start, but I see a river violation in the center lakes - all connected and draining to the sea on both sides of the continent.
    That was deliberate. Essentially, the lakes network is divided in two, each half draining into different seas. However, one of the central rivers will be a man-made canal that connects the two networks, forging one massive river network that splits the continent in two

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Good eye Ghost, I didn't catch it the first time. Gotta get RobA to deputize ya. You have a giant lake shaped like a big L but turned...I'd cut that lake off from the chain.
    Hmm... This makes me wonder if the idea of the canal is a bit contrived...
    Last edited by elemental_elf; 11-30-2009 at 07:16 PM.

RE: The canal.
    Either there is some serious magic-based earthworks going on here (read: 5000 wizards working overtime with Bigby's Shovel Spells) or your "canal concept" won't hold water *ba-dump-chink*.

I'd be saying, cut the two lake chains in half with some hills. It also helps explain why the L-lake is the size that it is... more dedicated runoff.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    RE: The canal.
    Either there is some serious magic-based earthworks going on here (read: 5000 wizards working overtime with Bigby's Shovel Spells) or your "canal concept" won't hold water *ba-dump-chink*.

I'd be saying, cut the two lake chains in half with some hills. It also helps explain why the L-lake is the size that it is... more dedicated runoff.
    And what a sight that would be!

Here's an updated map, with a drastically changed central lake network. I've uploaded a smaller version of the map. Also, here's a link to the full size map from my Deviant Art account.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pomeriland small.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	19083  

You could still have a canal connecting two waterways, you'll just need appropriate technology (locks to regulate the flow of water) or an equivalent magical solution.

I can see two places for this on the latest map:

* On the northern part of the continent where two rivers flow to opposite directions (east-west) from the mountain chain. You'd likely need a tunnel to connect them though.
    * To the south from the forest on the east coast. One river flows there to the big central lakes, another one flows to little lakes that drain in the narrow reach. You could connect these with an ordinary canal.

Either of these would enable people and goods to be transported by boat from coast to coast.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Other than the previously noted river infractions I think this looks nice so far.

Your rivers that flow through forests seem to get lost in the trees, you might consider creating space for them to flow through.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.