Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Test for my own style

Guild Apprentice

Wip Test for my own style

Hello,

I'm quite a newbie to GIMP (usually I'm using CC3) and I'm fascinated with the more "realistic" looking maps which are quite hard to do in CC3.

I'm studying and training with RobA's Regional Map Tutorial for quite some time and now I'm trying to find a style by my own.

As a first step I combined RobA's methods with some of my own and the fantastic textures I found in this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=724

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Texture Test.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	18305  
    Last edited by Draszmar; 11-03-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Other than the weird bump-patterning in the trees (which is a GIMP issue), I think it looks pretty good.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd say it looks pretty cool. I'm with Steel about the trees and I'm wondering - what if you doubled up the clouds render (new layer, new clouds, set the blend to overlay), then merge them together, then go on with the tut - how that would look. Gimp's clouds has always been kind of grid-looking so I'm wondering what sort of things can be done to get rid of that, maybe a ripple.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Ascension, I tried your advice for the forest but came to no satisfying result. Maybe I will experiment on this in my next map.
    For this one I just used another forest texture und put a slight bump on it. I think it looks better now, whats your opinion?

I also enhanced the rivers a bit, put a slight blur on the sea and added towns and roads (don't mind the names since it's just a test map).

Name:	Texture Test 2.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	18330  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like this forest version much better, you might consider trying a slight drop shadow on it as well.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

It's looking good, and a good update on the RobA style to make your own. However, I'm not digging on the sea texture, personally. Not a lot of good ideas on what you could do to fix it, but there's something about it that seems off to me.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

Wip Finished

The drop shadow on the forest was very good advice, looks much better now, so I put also a slight drop shadow on the towns.

For the sea I will try a different texture next time. I changed hue and saturation a bit: It matches the overall colour scheme better now I think.

I added more labels, compass rose and a border. From my pont of view it's finished. Do you have any more suggestions?

Name:	Texture Test 3.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	18361  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

The change on the seas is definitely an improvement. I'm still not a huge fan of the texture, but the coloring choice made here mititgates that significantly overall, so it looks good.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Looking good. But rather than feathering the forest edges, perhaps making them sharp but irregular might work better?

Have a look at the link in my sig on forest boundaries for one way to do this - it may help (or may not!)

best

Ravs

Guild Apprentice

Thanks ravells, I will defininitely try your method for forest edges on my next practice map. For my mountains I don't think it would work because I'm using RobA's method here.

And I will use a different sea pattern in my next map, Karro.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast