Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [taken][unpaid] I need a map for my fantasy novel

Guild Applicant

Help [taken][unpaid] I need a map for my fantasy novel

Hi, so I'm working on writing a fantasy novel, and I figured a map would be a nice addition, so I could keep all my geography right and what-not, plus it would be nice for if I ever publish my novel (oh lord, please!) but I've discovered it's not quite as easy as I thought it would be.

I'm really really sorry, but I'm only 16 and jobless, so I don't have a way to pay for a map, but I would definitely love you forever and ever if you would please help me, and you would get full credit for it, of course.

I'm not working on any time limits, so just work at your leisure, between any paid work you're doing. XD

The style I'm looking at is something like these:

http://k-tim.deviantart.com/art/World-Map-49397519
    http://vyrl.deviantart.com/art/Map-of-Arcea-97392634
    http://questionstar.deviantart.com/a...arly-130667824
    http://jackieocean.deviantart.com/ar...oject-39039691

So something kind of 'antique'-y, you know? Kind of hand-drawn looking... XD

As for the description, I do have the extremely, extremely rough version I've done, but I'm not quite happy with the layout or anything, so you will kind of have something to go on if you decide to help me, but it is very rough, and I do highly encourage you to take your own liberties with it and reconfigure it to how you think it should look. I don't really have a 'set' version in my head of how I think it should be, so anything modifications you think would work better than I have in my drafts, just suggest away--I'm sure I'll love it.

See, the version I have contains five countries, one being an island continent, plus one or two island chains. Several rivers, a couple of lakes, a forest or two, a couple of mountain ranges, several small villages plus one capital city per country. (My drafts will be attached, if you'd like to see what I have)

The entire 'world' I'm planning on is about earth-sized.

I'd like it to be professional quality, but I'll definitely go for semi-professional, since I'm not able to pay and all. XD It's mainly just for the web right now, but like I said, someday I want to try to get this novel published, after I've gotten it written, so we could go for web quality right now, and if I'm actually going to publish it, I could contact you again, and you could revise it to be print quality (And if I'm going to publish it, I'll DEFINITELY be paying you then)

You will retain the copyrights, but I'd want to have the right to use it anywhere on the web (Without profit), though I'd link back to you, with a link to your profile here or your blog or website (if you have one)

Now like I said before, I want you to take as many liberties as you can with this, and 'prettify' it, make the land areas look cool and whatnot, because I have NO map experience, so my draft is just kind of... yeah. XD

(The "more details" attachment details exactly what I want in each country, plus the names of the villages, countries, cities, etc.)

Please, please, please help me out here!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of the world.PNG 
Views:	345 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	19074  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Something tells me that you'll get your wish. This is too tempting a project. Not me, I'm afraid as I'm a little too busy at the mo, but I'm sure someone will oblige. Best of luck with your novel!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you don't get any replies right away don't worry about it too much...people tend to mull things over before committing to do it (in their heads) before contacting you. In the meantime, I would suggest that you make 4 more posts (on anything really) but look at some other maps here and say how much you like them or something like that. Once you get to five posts then you can send private messages to the folks here and maybe one of them will answer more promptly. I'd start in the Cartographer's Choice and Finished Maps sections.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Don't forget to check out the Map Challenge threads too. there's a lot of work in there that's totally fabulous that doesn't make it to the other finished product threads.

I might jump on this myself, but I'm kind of bogged down in another 3 projects right now..

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Sounds interesting. Mhm, have to think about it.

I'll give it a shot tonight.

Finished the map.

I'll do the labeling tomorrow and post what I got. Sorry for not getting anything up, but I am really tired right now. I'm in the middle of packing my luggage for a trip.

Here are a few comments:

I took The Cleansing Pools out of Kald and put them into Quem, near the border.
    Your map put them into Kald but your text file suggested otherwise.

I took the Awora River out of Estrit completely, because there were some odd river flow patterns in your sample map.
    It now has a source in the mountains of Quem.

More to come.

Okay, here is my interpretation of your region.

I took a lot of liberties, since you encouraged them so much.
    I hope it works for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_request_breezy.jpg 
Views:	1004 
Size:	901.5 KB 
ID:	19122  

Blog Entries

Complete garbage like all your other maps, Tear.

Gah... man, you should be doing this for a living if you aren't already.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Holycrap.

Way better than the one I was mentally putting together...

*packs up the tablet and goes home*

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast