Thread: Die Mittellande (The Middle Lands)

Guild Apprentice

Wip Die Mittellande (The Middle Lands)

I want to recreate an old campaign map I did years before in CC2 Pro in "satellite style".
    The original map was done without thinking of geology, I made it by request of the game master we had then. This guy likes the Wheel Of Time book series by Robert Jordan very much and he took names from the books for the map, unfortunately some are spelled wrongly. He took also names from a campaign from the German role playing rule set "Midgard" and spelled them also wrongly. This mixed with one or two tongue-in-check names and some I created for a campaign before and during creation of the map results in an...interesting map.
    But it is still needed for the campaign, so it has to stay like this. The main plot takes place in the Fürstentum (principality) of Corinnes. The characters own a small fiefdom here at the edge of the swamp called Elderbog, but it's too small to show on a map with this scale.
    The principality of Corinnes is always in peril from its bigger and stronger neighbours from the west and south, Illean and Arafel, who want to swallow it. And from the east we have a threat of trolls (Peninsula del Trollo), dark elves (Karmodin woods) and Orcs (Orkrücken and Orksteppe). So the characters have enough to do.

Here is the original map and my last recent map in the style I want to use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K5_Mittellande.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	19092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Khor_Serran.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	19093  

I'd say you've got a more realistic style now .

Good Job. Have some Rep.

S

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

I kinda like both maps. I am a sucker for well organised CC3 maps, but the new map looks good as well. The thumbnail doesn't do it justice, I must say... I was expecting something not too spectacular, but when zoomed in it looks pretty darn good.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Apprentice

Wip

I also still like my old CC2 map - I think it is really nice regarding my skills at the time and the features of CC2. Unfortunately I lost the original in a hard disk crash and now I have only a jpg copy.

Here are the first two main steps in the new map: the coastline and sea and land. I'm going to to something with the grass texture - unfortunately it's not tilable, so I had to smear the edges and that looks bad.

Name:	Mittellande 01.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	19120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mittellande 02.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	3.65 MB 
ID:	19121  

I actually like the original one better. The photo realistic look is very popular right now (Im gonna have to break down and learn how), but I like the cartoon, and colorful maps of old.
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Guild Apprentice

Wip

I think this is all a matter of taste. Currently I'm able to impress my group immensely with the "new" kind of maps. But this may also be a passing fancy.

Here are the next two phases: Mountains and hills/foothills. Still haven't done anything about the grass texture yet.

Name:	Mittellande 03.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	19151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mittellande 04.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	19152  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely...

I like the foothills and mountains so far.

One thing that caught my eye - because the sea is so blurry it appears (at least to me) that the lands "float" above the water rather than merging with it. You might consider adding some kind of narrow "beach" to help with the transition *shrugs*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Here's a new version with forests, and I was finally able to solve the issue with the grass texture.

I added a narrow beach but I'm not really sure if I like it. Did you have something like this in mind, General?
    May the beach will look better when the river valley hightmaps are in place.

Name:	Mittellande 05.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.93 MB 
ID:	19154  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That's the general idea (no pun intended), but it didn't seem to really help the way I was hoping it would. You might try making it more brown than yellow.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.