Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 27][Town 01]Argria

Nothing wrong with big projects, and this one looks good so far.

-IG

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    I don't think this is really "finished quality" but there's no point my drawing a bunch of buildings to just have to redraw them later. This should give the general layout and feel, I guess.
    Doing it a little rough, saving time and then mapping it again later at a bigger scale for just a few of the interesting buildings might be a better approach than trying to make a lot of small scale buildings look great all at once taking a lot of time on one map. I think its looking great so far.

Finally got time to make a start on a full-scale version. Nothing much to see but figured I'd post to say that I am, in fact, still working on it.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	argria-sketch.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	19234  

Great! Glad to see you're still working on it.

-IG

Between graduations, family visits, work, and the holidays I haven't had much time to do anything fun lately. BUT, I have rekindled this one since I had some free time last night and hopefully over the next couple of days.

I wasn't much liking my Photoshop start so I decided to try out Illustrator. Just bought CS4 and it was sitting there not doing much of nothing so I figured "why not". Right now I'm just trying out some building shapes. Not sure whether I'd rather try to fully draw buildings in Illustrator or to just make shapes and then bring them into Photoshop and use them as a mask for painting. I see some people getting good results in Illustrator but I'm a novice with the tool so I'll probably go the latter route.

Okay, back to it.
    M

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	66 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	19896  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like a good start
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm liking your building outlines. Those are what I was thinking we need if we want others to create detailed buildings for our city maps.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

nvr mind
    great start.

I'm not sure about the true sizes of medieval towns, villages, or hamlets. I'd guess this one would qualify as a city even by today's standards. Fantasy settings tend to overpopulate, though, so I suppose that's okay.

As I mess with this I wonder if my scale between the fortress and the city buildings is maybe going to look off. I did intend for many of the buildings inside the walls (and the tower itself) to be quite large...but the buildings in town look miniscule by comparison. I think some of the scale issues will resolve themselves when I get trees and such in there.

Threw on a rough scale and a kludged compass rose.
    M

Name:	Argria.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	19899  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good lookin start...those are some nice building shapes, good clustering, and follow roads well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast