Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 27][Town 01]Argria

Looking really good so far Mearrin69. In fact, your town layout is very similar to that of the town that my own campaign has been based around (though I've only done a hand drawing of it). I'm looking forward to watching your map develop.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

If you'd supply that compass rose as an object by itself, I'd happily steal it from you.

Very nice You do realize that you have to map the rest of Anuroch now, correct?

-IG

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks great. I love the straightforward style for the buildings. That's very elegant.

The text could do with being lightened overall to help it stand out from the background. The labels are a little hard to read just now.

Thanks, guys. BTW, those lame district names still need replacing. If anyone's got any ideas please feel free to throw them out.

@IG: What format do you want it in? It started as a PNG I found by searching Google Images and was imported to Illustrator, traced, and stylized. I didn't find any copyright attached to it - wouldn't try to put it on anything I wanted to sell in any case but I suppose it's okay for uses of this nature. I intended it as a placeholder but kind of like it now. Anyway, if you want it, I could give it as a vector file or convert it to raster. Just wanted to be clear that it's not my own work. Re mapping the rest of Anuroch: I have to finish this little part of it first!

@torstan: Much agreed on the text. Right now it's partially transparent and that's part of what's making it hard to read. The lables are also placeholders...as I intend to rasterize the buildings and work on them in Photoshop, then bring it back into Illustrator for labeling, etc. Now that you've called the style "elegant", however, I wonder if I really should go and muck them up with textures and all
    M
    Last edited by mearrin69; 01-30-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Really interesting! Very nicely done! I can imagine walking around in the streets.

One thing to consider, I think that fortress would want a "killing field" around its wall. With houses and buildings around it that close, archers aren't going to be able to defend against attackers, and attackers will simply be able to climb over the walls. If it were my map, I would remove those two closest rings of buildings around the wall.

Keep it up and keep us updated!

That is what they'd want, but what grows up in the relative safety under the guns of the fortress might be different. Besides, "killing field," or "cluster of peasant hovels and merchant stalls?" It all works out the same. Everybody involved knows this, but for the folks in the undertown getting their pitiful hovel burnt to the ground every big battle beats getting pwnd every time a band of orcs comes wandering by. Nobody wants a half-orc for a grandson!

Thanks guys. That's exactly right, su_liam. I envision the stuff around the fort walls as mostly riff-raff-built hovels, tents, and vendor stalls at first...when the fort was still in use against the barbarian hordes a couple-hundred years ago. In case of an invasion, though, those people would have been admitted to the fortress walls for safety. It has since grown into a more respectable town and the barbarian menace has dropped to almost nil - most of the tribes have permanent representation in the bazaar these days and the rest roll into town regularly for commerce. And, there are far too many people now to let into the fortress anyway - should an invasion ever come. If it did come down to some sort of invasion, probably from another source, burning out Oldtown might not be a bad contingency plan...giving the archers on the wall a clean field of fire. Although, actually, the tight press of buildings would keep most traditional siege engines from being very effective (heh, especially if those buildings were on *fire*).
    M

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Smoke cover works both ways, of course. I think it would hinder the defenders more though, the seige equipment only needs a vague idea of aiming to be effective. It may not hit the walls, but if you're not sure of what you're going to hit, i'd tell the engineers just to aim further than they think they might need to, and let them rain destruction on the town itself until the smoke clears.

People hated me back in my tabletop wargaming sessions

As a defender I would either knock down the hovels and leave the debris as a makeshift slow-down tactic (if I knew the attackers weren't the types to set fire to things) or leave the buildings up and boobytrap the **** put of them and wait for the ground troops to try and use them for cover.
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 02-01-2010 at 02:20 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Making a little progress on this but nowhere near done with building shapes yet. I probably won't post an image again until I get all of those done at least...don't want to fill the board with several Mb of WiPs In the meantime, however, here's the compass rose in AI (saved back to CS2 format) and PNG24 with transparency. If anyone wants it in another format because either of these aren't working just let me know.

Again, to be clear, this compass rose is not my work - it's an AI tracing of a found image. I snagged the original from an image search that led here. I have no knowledge of its original provenance, though I don't think the site owner made it. To be safe I wouldn't go putting it on anything you plan to sell.
    M

[edit: Okay, I guess I can't attach the AI file as-is. I've zipped it and attached.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compass-rose.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	394.6 KB 
ID:	21727  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mearrin69; 02-01-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I recognize that rose, I've encountered it often during google searches.

You might be interested in the following link if you'd like to know more about it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Compass_rose_pale.svg

And it's based on the following:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...mpass_rose.svg

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License".
    This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 License. In short: you are free to share and make derivative works of the file under the conditions that you appropriately attribute it, and that you distribute it only under a license identical to this one.
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 02-02-2010 at 12:33 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast