Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarenath (wip)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Kyristan's Avatar

Wip Sarenath (wip)

Hi, all.

So, this is my first post and the first time I try to create a continent with photoshop.
    I tried to follow Ascension great tutorial and came up with this.

I am quite pleased with the map so far but I'm still looking for a way to make the forests more ... well ... more visible.
    I know that the scale of my map would normaly not allow real textured forests, but since the map will be used for roleplaying,
    it would be great to know where exactly the forests are.

Any advise on this (or how to improve in general) would be very welcome.

Sorry for my english by the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sarenath.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	18940  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks great. If you want to put in some forests the first thing you will have to do is make the whole thing lighter so that forests will stand out. Put a new layer on top of the stack, fill it with white, set the blend mode to soft light, then lower the opacity to 50% (for now). On a new layer, use a spatter brush to brush in forests, apply your favorite layer styles (color, pattern, bevel, glow, etc).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks good so far, curious to see how you end up handling the forests.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks a lot

I will try to lighten things up a bit. I am also curious how the forests will look in the end

You should be pleased, this looks really good. Really like the compass and the text, the latter in particular simple yet effective while the former just screams fantasy.

For the forests, Ascension actually has a nice little forest tut that you could use, just used it draw in the forests and then lower the opacity so that they're noticeable without being overpowering.

One thing though, the whirlpool (i"m assumign thats what it is), in the southern oceans is very noticeable. Maybe you could make it blend a little more. Just a suggestion, the decision is up to you of course.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

This looks really cool! It holds together really well. The one thing that I would change would be the rivers; the smaller ones sort of get lost in the backgrounds

Well the whirlpool should actually be a storm
    But I am not satisfied with this one either. I will rework it in my next update.
    I looked through most of the tutorial in last few days, but I seem to have missed the one about the forests.
    Maybe I should learn to use the search function ...

The rivers really get lost somehow, but its just in the .jpg. They are much more visible in the .psd-file.
    I will try to export the next map in a higher quality. Maybe that solves the problem.

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Dude, that's beautiful. I especially like the scroll and associated artwork in the top right - that's awesome.

Hello again,

so here is the first update.
    I tried to follow the suggestion from Ascension and created a lot of forests. I also put in two new volcanos and some canyons.

I would really like to know what you guys think about it. Any critisim or suggestions are still very welcome

The version you can see here is in a lower quality, because the other version is far to big. But you can find a high quality version by following this link:

http://www.dungeonworx.de/sarenath.jpg (about 18 MB!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sarenath.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	19071  

Blog Entries

Ooh, I really love those forests. Not sure they would be that visible on a satellite map of this sort but they look wonderful.

Here, have some rep and keep it up.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast