Thread: [taken][unpaid]Build a WORLD with me!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

Post [taken][unpaid]Build a WORLD with me!

Hello!

I am a novelist and I have just finished my first novel and am 10,000 words into my second. At present rate, it looks like I can write and edit 3 to 4 a year.

For my novels I am creating what is called a "shared universe." You can read about a shared universe at...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_universe

It is simply a Fantasy World in which multiple novels and writers use in their stories. They all share the history, geography, and to some degree the people groups of the world. It allows several authors to write about the same characters and places and cuts down on the time it takes to develop the history and geography for every novel. Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms both did this.

I have been working on the project for over a year and it is coming along nicely. Now, I could use some help making maps to help "flesh out" the geography of the world.

Before I found cartographersguild.com I tried to do a map using Paint shop Pro. Now DONT LAUGH but here it is! Now you see shy I NEED HELP! ha ha

www.noobiesfriend.com/Westernethrea3.jpg

I would be glad to team up with someone or for a noble map maker to do some work for me. I will need the rights to some degree-Especially to add additional cities and other features.

Your maps will end up in print and on the web with full credit. I will also ensure that you approve any of my additions for quality sake (or you can revise).

I am looking to use the old style to start- an example is http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...7&d=1224266520

At this point I cannot pay anything. I hope to start a publishing label to print the books that will come from this series (or perhaps publish on demand- not sure). I am not looking to make a lot of money but will gladly split the profits IF there are any.

At present I am using GIMP because I am SICK OF BUYING software! But if someone is interested I would probably invest so we could be compatable.

PM me if you are interested and I will send you more information.

Lets build a world!
    Chaplain
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-01-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Your post got caught in the moderation queque, I just approved it. I edited your post to remove a dead link.

I kinda like the map you made by the way. It's a bit artistic.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Apprentice

Thanks! I just wish I could figure out how to edit it and work with it. I had no idea how to use layers or anything.

Chaplain

Guild Apprentice

Hey, to update this post I may be willing to pay something for this. To be honest, I have paid artist before and it has NEVER worked out. But if you are SERIOUS then PM me about your ability to do the following...

1) A full color map much like Ascension's atlas map of my world. I will need full rights as I will use it on my Book cover! So it needs to be colorful and pretty!!!!
    2) A small (very simple) two page map for the first two pages of my novel. Just an outline really.
    3) About 25 pencil sketches (very simple) for chapter starters. Example would be something like a candle or a fancy number 8 for chapter 8... ect ect

Feel free to contact me about any or all of this... By the way, I am on a tight budget so I cannot pay a lot. However, you will get full credit for your work.

PLEASE only respond if you can do the work!

If you want a more concrete example I am using the Dragonlance book "War of the Twins" as my template.
    Last edited by Chaplaindm; 12-02-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added detail
    Serving God and Country,
    Chaplain

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Got that one as well as Time of the Twins and Test of the twins (I think that's what they are, they're sitting on a shelf on the other side of the room right now). I've got one guy that I work with off and on, one guy stringing me along and as soon as I get him done I have a board game to do but after that I'm free if you'd like.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

I will PM you on this!

Chaplain
    Serving God and Country,
    Chaplain

Guild Apprentice

Sent you something. I am not sure if it went through but I PM'd it and then e-mailed it.

Thanks!
    Chaplain
    Serving God and Country,
    Chaplain

Guild Apprentice

Consider this "taken" at this point!

Thank You!
    Chaplain
    Serving God and Country,
    Chaplain