Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moure (WIP)

Post Moure (WIP)

Good Afternoon!

I'm relatively new to this site, but discovered it after a friend linked me. I've been checking out all the tutorials, and this is what I've come up with. Its the map from a book I am writing, and I used a variety of different techniques from different places. Let me know what you think. My rivers are probably wrong, but that's why its a WIP :p
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moure_v2.1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	19118  

Okay... I'll be the first to mention this...

COLLOSSAL River Violations. These kinds of infringements could get you time inside...

#1 You have two rivers meeting with two other rivers and ALL of them join to the sea around Holmir. Some of those need to:
    a) not be joined
    b) not be joined to two different seas

I would recommend the river going past Jalfole be redirected to have its source in the mountains near the desert (also helps explain the desert since the runoff all goes into that river and out to the sea).

Two of the other rivers around Holmir need to start in the nearby mountains and not join each other.

#2 See #1 but just look at Riverview instead of Holmir. Same problems, different location.

Only other C&C is:

- maybe adding some variation into the Popsicle Jungle of Grelm. Trees could do with some work and less of an iceblock shape. I feel like they were created by Paddle Pop. (google it if you don't know the brand).

- maybe changing the font in your compass rose. It doesn't match the rest of the map and looks like it is starkly out of place. The rose itself is nice though. I like it.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

I like the coloring and the shape of the landmass in the map. I would make the landmass a little darker to stand out more against the sea. Also the "treeline" of the Jungle of Grelm looks a bit repetetive, maybe use different size trees and place them not in a straight line to make it look more natural. cheers

Besides river violations I think it looks pretty good. It's an interesting style and it's probably very printable (which is a plus if you ever want to publish your book).
    Have some rep!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Shoot,

I was hoping to warn you before the river fuzz got you. Rivers don't go from Sea to Sea (I mess this one up also, all the time) For some its the mountains that get em, and for others is those bloody rivers.

The trees are a bit uniform as well as the mountains. I don't think its necessarily a must fix. As with many books I've read that include a map, they are usually very simple so the reader gets a feel for place and characters. I think its a pretty good map so far.

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Hello,

Thanks for all the comments, even if I did get yelled at.

Now here is an updated version of my map.

- I fixed the rivers, so hopefully nobody will yell at me
    - I now have two different types of trees, and they're not so close together
    - I added shading, which is supposed to look like someone went over it with coloured pencils
    - for storyline reasons (I'm writing a book about this world) I added an inland sea. Technically its not really a sea, which is why its coloured red. If you read my book it would make sense. :p

http://moure.craigsplace.info/files/...3.0_colour.jpg

In Photoshop, I added a black and white filter so I can easily spit out a printable version for myself.

http://moure.craigsplace.info/files/...lacknwhite.jpg
    Last edited by whoiscraig; 12-22-2009 at 02:30 AM.

That's some very nice, subtle coloring. It works for me!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Presil and Tam River (not River Tam, which I guess would make you a Firefly fan ) both split far from the coast so I'm guessing they aren't deltas.
    Other than that it's looking good.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely. I like the subtle coloring, it works well with the style of map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast