Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of a map for my fantasy world

Post In need of a map for my fantasy world

Hello there everyone! So, I'm a young novelist that is looking to get my book published next year. It would be super awesome if someone could help out Unfortunately i lack in a job or any form of money, so it would have to just be done for free...but please consider helping me out! it would be majorly appreciated. It's a lot to ask, but if your willing, please reply to this

So I have tons of editing to get done, so a time frame... well as soon as possible pretty much. I'm not saying that it has to be done in like a week or something, I just mean that if you would like to take this project on, i need this map soon so i can edit everything to my liking. Im finding it hard to fix everything in my novel without a visual. There aren't huge time constraints, so don't feel like im putting any pressure on.

The style I'm looking at is this kind of map.
    http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs26/f/20...astorgavin.jpg
    so pretty much i would love for it to show the terrain and that sort of thing with cities labelled and important markers... Color is welcome if you want.

This map would contain mainly just one continent. Peraps two. To the east there is a large amount of mountains that sort of acts as a border to the next continent. I have no real depth to the second continent since everything mainly only takes place in one. Since mountains usually have deserts right after them i suppose the second continent could just be dessert. I can come up with a name for the desert land/continent. Rather than explaining more, i will send you a rought example of what it looks like. It's still being constructed so please let me know if your interested

I would like the quality of it to be semi-professional as i obviously have no money, but if you want to take it to the next professional level that would be awesome. I would like it to be printable so i can look at is as im writing. Since i know hardly anything about maps though i wouldnt mind some input on the dimensions of the map..

As for copyright, i would like the right to use the image incase i get published, but i would definately keep your name on it. You can definately exhibit it as part of your portfolio, but i would not want it to be exploited for commercial gain because it's for my book and ive been working on this for four years.

So please please please consider helping me! and thank you so much RobA for pointing out to me what i needed to do to find help! It probably made a huge difference for me
    Last edited by RobA; 04-30-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Hi Lithium-

You will be more likely to get a response if you follow the directions provided in the forum sticky post that describes the information to provide in your request.

Good luck!

A number of us will bite on a free request, so just be patient.

-Rob A>

hey thank you RobA greatly appreciated!

If I could make a suggestion for your post, I am a novelist myself and was asking for the same thing on this forum. I find for these kinds of requests it would be nice for the cartographer to offer a small margin of profit from your novel if you use the image in the final publication. I used a "Paid?" tag for my post and I got responses very quickly. I think if you use the tag and make it very clear early on that they will get full recognition for the creation of the map and a small profit for creating the map for the novel, I think you will get more interest. I understand that the concept of the map is yours alone, but even the cover illustrator gets recognition and profit from a published book, so I think a cartographer would feel it only fair to be offered a cut of the profit for the book.
    Good luck in all you do and I hope to read your novel someday!

~Rana
    "I cannot offer you a satisfying beginning, for I do not know the true beginning myself. But if there is any beginning, it is with the Wakening, and the coming of the first Captains of the Elaseim." ~Rana, bard and Last of the Elaseim

Hi Lithium, I may be interested in creating a map for your novel. I never did anything in the style you requested but i'm a quick learner . You can check my stuff out on deviant-art (see link below) and let me know if you think i can help you. As for the timelines maybe you can create a rough sketch yourself so you can use that as a reference while editing your novel (and post it here so people can get an idea on what you're aiming at...) cheers!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

djekspek djekspek hes our man.. if he can't do it no-one can ... I thought of doing it, but I'm to busy at the moment to adopt that style... and a newbie in map-making (although not in graphics) but I love djekspeks work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I didn't get a response from Lithium (but the initial post was quiet old so maybe he didn't check in again after no response)

oh my goodness! i didn't think i was ever going to a reply and got distracted with school! I'm sorry if anyone is still interested please contact me again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast