Thread: photoshop question

Post photoshop question

I am thinking of trying my hand at the photo realisitic/photoshop style.

I see alot of tutorials on the subject. If there was one that was recommended for the ultra beginner in photoshop.

thx,
    Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I haven't been a beginner in photoshop for a long time so I can't really say which one would be best for a beginner from personal experience (don't take that the wrong way though, i'm still learning things!).

That having been said, all the tutorials here tend to be very well written and easy to follow. Plus the authors tend to be regularly available, usually posting every day, so if you get stuck on something one of them (or any of the rest of us who have muddled through them) are available to help out with any questions you may have.

There are a few satellite styles that seem to be popular right now, Ascension's rendered cloud basis and pasis' layer styles are the ones I see the most. And a lot of people new to photoshop seem to be getting good results, so that might be a good indication for you

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Either Ascension's, Pasis' or Tear's are the ones I'd recommend.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Im pretty new myself Davros. So far ive used Tear's map style a couple of times and have learned ALOT about photoshop just by following his tut and playing with diffrent buttons, gadgets, doodads and assorted filters/layers while working on it just to see what effects i can get out of it. I have not started using any of the other styles yet but as soon as im done with my curent project im going to try a new style and see what other bits of brilliance I can pick up from the masters.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Either Ascension's, Pasis' or Tear's are the ones I'd recommend.
    What he said.
    I've also found the podcasts on www.zombienirvana.com very useful. It's a shame the writer doesn't add anything new anymore

Happy drawing!

EDIT: hmm, I guess these podcasts are more in the hand-drawn/photoshop style corner. But they're still good for learning some PS basics.
    Last edited by Blaidd Drwg; 02-05-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Actually, Ravell's tutorial is also quite useful He has some very good info on proper layer usage in there, as well as my favorite method for making coastlines.