Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new map so far.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Wip My new map so far.

Ok well I have been resisting the urge to post this WIP here because I really wanted to have perfected my first map (since coming to the guild) but I have gotten to a stage where I am not quite sure how to continue. I know there are still several stages yet I need to complete (labels, cartouche, frame) but before I get there I need to be certain my landmass is set.

I look at my map and can't help but feel its missing something. Is it too sparse?

Any comments or suggestions?

Oh and the credit for this map as it stands so far goes to Ramah, for his amazing Vaniya series, Vhailor for extracting the brushes, and a combination of Jezelf and Ramah again for their tuts on continent creation. And I am sure there are more since I have read through so many tutorials now I can't keep them all straight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aran' Dur.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	19141  
    Last edited by Locution; 12-02-2009 at 11:44 PM.

It's beautiful. You could add some swamps and deserts (or are the slightly paler areas deserts?), but since I see what look like borders, I assume there's going to be cities and possibly other signs of civilization. That will fill things up a bit.

Thanks rdan! Yea the pale areas to the north indicates tudra and the southern ones desert. Also there is one swamp in the central east section as well. Now that I have done a bit of reading, and just got ahold of A Magical Society: Guide to Mapping I may have to re-evaluate the locations of aridity. I do have pland to fill in smaller wooded areas as I label the map and I will likely add some more hills throughout.

Blog Entries

That's looking really nice Locution. I like your landmass shapes and where your mountain ranges are, it all seems very natural.

Keep going, it's looking great.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far.

I think the only thing I would change would be to "tone down" the white dotted line a bit (I find it a bit stark against the rest of the map), but that's just my personal preference.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looking very nice. I agree with the General about toning down the white dotted line. They seem a bit harse for your style. It does appear to be a bit empty in places. You don't have to add alot of actual symbols to get them to appear a bit more used. Add a few strategic blurred colored areas to suggest swamp, or dessert or some other terrain, and it will fill up pretty quickly without damaging your particular style.

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As far as the "missing something" goes I think rivers, lakes, and hills will help fill the land and make it less barren. Overall you could crop the image down a bit so that there isn't so much ocean as well....that brings everything in closer and feels "tighter" - making it seem like there is more going on.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I have been struggling with how to depict deserets and swamps and think I might keep the subtle discolouration I have used here for areas of aridity. The swamps however are completely different. I created an area mixing one of Ramah's tree brushes in with his dead looking tree brush to try and hint at a swamp but I can't say as I am really satisfied with the result. Perhaps I should create more of these areas to fill in some of the blank spots. And I think I will add some more lakes and rivers and crop out some of the ocean.

Thanks again everyone!

Well I think I am finally done. But before I post this in the completed maps section I thought I would submit the final (hopefully) draft for your review.

A little background info:

The world of Ghaiath Mhor consists of two continents Talandryn (depicted in my current map) and Ailandryn. And was created by six of the seven elder gods in order to imprison the seventh elder god for eternity. Working together they created an earthen prison, reinforced by a matrix of life, that encompassed the seventh god, trapping it within. The influence of the seventh god was so pervasive that it managed to seep through tiny imperfections in the prison and twist and defile all it encountered. In order to combat the seventh god's influence, the six remaining elder gods created a race of near perfect beings who would act as caretakers of the world.

As millenia passed, the seventh god's power finally managed to corrupt one of the world's caretakers and entice him to betray his bretheren. The result was a war that lasted thousands of years and eventually sundered the world. Afterwards the caretakers had been vastly changed and gave up their responsibilities, retreating to their homes to live in solitude. From the race of caretakers fifteen new races arose, all but one of which eventually vanished into obscurity. Only one of the new races thrived. Leaving their sundered home behind them they went in search of a new land. They found Talandryn. This was the race of Humanity. Over the next few millenia Humanity settled Talandryn and created a thriving, if somewhat turbulent, civilization.

The empire of Galladorn (the focal point of the map) is more a confederation than an empire and was formed originally to keep the barbarian hordes of the north at bay. Over time however a frigile peace was struck and the barbarian nations where admitted into the empire.

This map predates the time period of my story by several hundred years. It shows a time of peace and prosperity in the realm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright so this map has taken me a very long time. I think I may have literally gone through it pixel by pixel :S

I am quite happy with the finished product but am open to any C&C you may have.

Fonts:
    Poetica Chancery III
    Centaur MT Swash Capitals
    Quill Std
    Francisco Lucas Llana
    Roman Antique
    Kelly Ann (the Galladorn of the cartouche)

Oh and of course the credit here still goes to Ramah predominantly (I snuck a little tribute to Ramah into the map) and also the others mentioned in the original post. My goal was to create a map close to the same calibre of Vaniya but with a little more colour. While My map can't hold a candle to Vaniya and Ramah's other works I am still pleased
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galladorn.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	4.35 MB 
ID:	19379  
    Last edited by Locution; 12-12-2009 at 02:57 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast