Thread: The World of Eiveen

Wip The World of Eiveen

Well, this is my second attempt to make a map of scratch using Photoshop. My new computer is a great machine and I love to work with.

This is the first step of the map. The land mass has just a bit of color and no rivers. I'm concentrated by now on the ocean, making the coast lines and so on.

I hope you like it... And feel free to comment, I'm quite new and I would appreciate the smallest portion of wisdom you could give
    Last edited by Steel General; 12-04-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    This is the link to my DA page. There's no maps yet, but some photos I would like to show to everyone. If you like one don't be shy and comment. Thank you!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There seems to be some sort of issue with your attachment.

When I edited the thread to try and see what was the issue, the attachment appeared as a blank, white image.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I noticed something strange when I submited the post, but I could enter and see the image, so I thought there was Ok. Thanks for the warning! I'm uploading it again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eiveen_Step_01_by_Janherbergh.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	19157  
    This is the link to my DA page. There's no maps yet, but some photos I would like to show to everyone. If you like one don't be shy and comment. Thank you!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Ahhh, much better.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

The continental layout seems a little artificial, but it's a good start.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

I didn't used any filter to create the continental layout, but draw it directly in PS. Wich part of the layout do you find the least natural? I can try to modify it. Anyway, I'm glad you like it!

I could never draw any decent shapes in photoshop, nice work. I agree a bit wiht wormspeaker in that some of it looks artificial, for me its mainly the t-shaped land mass and the small curtain of land (hope that makes sense) around the centre islands.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    I could never draw any decent shapes in photoshop, nice work. I agree a bit wiht wormspeaker in that some of it looks artificial, for me its mainly the t-shaped land mass and the small curtain of land (hope that makes sense) around the centre islands.

-D-
    It does make sense For the islands of the center I tried to make some kind of atoll, but I must accept that I failed

But I think that with a little work I'll be able to make it look more natural. I hope I'll have some time this weekend to work with the map and then I'll upload it again

Thanks for your comment!

Actually, each of these landmasses on their own don't look all that unbelievable to me. I agree the 'T' continent is pushing it a little, but it could be pulled off with some minor work.

Try to take some time to lay out some rough tectonic plates, and try to figure out how each of the continents would have gotten where they are. It will help alleviate the 'artificial' feel, I think.

If you're feeling a little lost on tectonics, there are a number of great worldbuilders here in the guild that have done some fairly in-depth WIP threads. Unfortunately I've been a little quiet around here, lately, so I haven't kept up with some of the more recent threads, some of which were quite good. The two that helped me most when I was working on Geidor, though, were Karro's and Korba's:
    Karro: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2463
    Korba: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4812

Korba's is a little bit more in-depth with the tectonics than mine or Karro's, because he presented more progress images for it. If you're interested, I'd start there.

-asp
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 12-04-2009 at 10:24 AM.
    My current worldbuilding experiment(s):
    Geidor
    --------------------------------------------

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
    -W.B. Yeats

Guild Journeyer

The circular nature of the aggregate landmasses seems a bit contrived. You generally don't see such layouts of landmasses in nature.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins