Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Lands

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Map The Dark Lands

Well, here it is. It's possible there could be some edits further down the line, but that will be production decisions as storyline details for the world change around. For all intents and purposes, I'm considering this done as of now. This map has been intentionally left without towns/cities/forts/interesting locations by request (this will allow individuals running their own campaigns within the setting to work things around as they see fit)

This map is Copyright 2009 by Tin Hill Press, though by posting it here, it is also available for personal use if anyone has a use for it

As noted in the WIP thread, this is a dark world (hence the name) with horror and demonic elements going hand in hand. With that in mind, I was going for a necronomicon type feel to it, with the inked in blood effect being the driving force behind the drawing style. I also worked in quite a few subtle background elements that did not appear in the WIP thread. The fonts used are EVA Hand for the border and background elements, and Bardic for the readable lettering. Mountains/Hills are partially hand drawn, partially from brushes I created from my Barovia map. Evergreen trees are from brushes created for this map, and the deciduous trees are either my trees (brushes from the Barovia map) or Ramah's - I lost track and at this scale, I honestly can't tell them apart Texturework is from my scanned tea/coffee/whatever stained paper series. Artwork used is either original (scale, compass rose, some of the background symbols) or gathered from clipart sites. Oh, and names used in the map are not my own, they were provided to me

Ok, so enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feedback.jpg 
Views:	1586 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	19664  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 12-20-2009 at 04:34 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great work as always C-max!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Mountains and trees look lovely, labeling is clear and appropriately fonted and the texture work is subtle yet very effective. I LOVE YOUR BLOOD INK EFFECT. The little details, like the upside down lovecraft monster for your scale and the Baphomet compass really bring it all together and add great atmosphere. Heck the whole thing is oozing atmosphere.

I don't think theres a single thing i dislike about this map except for the names(minor gripe, I just don't like seeing every location begin with "the" and end with "lands")

Absolutely stunning map and great achievement. You have my five stars.
    Rainer Weston
    Programmer/Artist
    View my art here

My Maps

Thanks!

That reminds me, the one thing I forgot to say in the original post..

thanks to everyone on the site for encouragement and feedback, but special mention to Steel General, Ascension, Ramah, landorl, and Locution, for specific helpful bits!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

This map turned out great! A piece to be proud of indeed.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd like to see you take a crack at towns and labels and such just to give us an idea of where you think it could go and sort of serve as a template for those wanting to do their own labels and such...but I know you're currently indisposed so, shrug. Nice work, bro.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That was my suggestion, initially, but it got shot down
    I might play around and mock up a few things later on, but for the moment I need to move on to some other projects.

My finished maps

Very cool.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Well done , awesome job i love the look on this one, i agree that you should label this one so the theme of the names match the style you have created here. this is one of my fav maps and i think the players in my group will be visiting this dark world real soon Mawhahahahaha (evil laugh that was lol )

oh and repped for a great job too

What a fantastic map!

It's giving me a very Tolkien feel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast