Thread: World of Auren

Wip World of Auren

Here is an image of my camaign world, the World of Auren. The 'Main' campaign continent of Euros is pretty much done (I just need to label the rivers and it is done), and from their I plan on doing individual countr and regional maps A-la the Forgotten Realms Atlas project.

The maps are done in the Sarah Wroot style for Campaign Cartographer 3, with no external modifications.

Daniel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auren-SW-1.JPG 
Views:	606 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	732  

Great first post, and welcome to the community! Another CC user, excellent!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

very nice map, and one i would like to see more than the static CC2 or CC3 maps you usually get with that software. great names, good textures, nice use of color. keep it up. welcome to the boards. tell your freinds.

First of all welcome to the Guild!

I'm not usually interested in maps of this style that are crowded with labels, but I must say this is an exception. I especially like the way the ocean/water titles circle around the land and such.

I do not like the bright white text glow; it is too stark for my tastes. I'd at least tone it to a bright gray. Also, the coastlines are very stark, too; can you put some sort of glow in CC that would allow the oceans (& the land) to transition a bit more? Just a couple of ideas to play with--hopefully improving slightly an already great map!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

How cool! I love the beautiful color palette - rich, but not overwhelming. The lettering is well done, generally quite readable (and thus usable) even at the small sizes. The varying colors for the mountains also keep it fresh, avoiding the "I dropped a bunch of symbols over here" look that is the hallmark of my own maps. =P Lastly, I like how you've called out the mountain passes - clearly this map was made for merchants and travelers, amongst others.

One question: is "Desrt of Doom" a typo or does it simply use "creative spelling" (another hallmark of mine, I'm afraid). Looks like whatever it is snuck in to the "Pricipality of Motem", "Anthin Mountians", and "Nirs Mountians" as well. They're all in the same region, so maybe it's just a local thing....

The only thing I would change would be to increase the size and maybe color of the scale bar in the lower left of the map. It's so wee I almost missed it.

Otherwise, you've created a fantastic map that I could personally spend hours perusing and winnowing out the delectable nuances thereof.

Thanks for sharing!
    Post your maps in the context they belong in - your world! - at Eruvian.com. Be a builder of worlds...!

Quote Originally Posted by Eru View Post
    How cool! I love the beautiful color palette - rich, but not overwhelming. The lettering is well done, generally quite readable (and thus usable) even at the small sizes. The varying colors for the mountains also keep it fresh, avoiding the "I dropped a bunch of symbols over here" look that is the hallmark of my own maps. =P Lastly, I like how you've called out the mountain passes - clearly this map was made for merchants and travelers, amongst others.

One question: is "Desrt of Doom" a typo or does it simply use "creative spelling" (another hallmark of mine, I'm afraid). Looks like whatever it is snuck in to the "Pricipality of Motem", "Anthin Mountians", and "Nirs Mountians" as well. They're all in the same region, so maybe it's just a local thing....

The only thing I would change would be to increase the size and maybe color of the scale bar in the lower left of the map. It's so wee I almost missed it.

Otherwise, you've created a fantastic map that I could personally spend hours perusing and winnowing out the delectable nuances thereof.

Thanks for sharing!
    No, they are indeed typos! Sort of the, I am always blind to my own typos, and require other's to point them out. Funny thing, is that map was originally don with CC2 (Not CC2 Pro) around 7 years or so ago, and those typos have remained there since

So, thanx for pointing them out, they will be fixed.

Heh, you do the maps, I catch the typos - we'll travel the world bringing joy, beauty, and pedantry to the teeming masses!

=)
    Post your maps in the context they belong in - your world! - at Eruvian.com. Be a builder of worlds...!