Thread: Hi there!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Post Hi there!

I've been strolling through these forums for about a week now, but I kinda lost my tongue due to those wonderful maps that are being shown here.

No really, I am not trying to toady up to you guys. I'm really impressed by the sheer amount of skilled cartographers as well as by the helpfulness and the friendly atmosphere here. Thanks to some of your tutorials I was able to make quite some progress in mapping the world of a fantasy novel I'm currently writing. My last attempts on doing that were ... well, let's not speak about it.

About me (no worries, I'll cut it short): 26, male, born and living in Germany. And on this occasion *cough* - my english might've become a bit rusty there.

Yeah well, this much for now. I'll keep strolling and eventually drop a post every now and then. See you around.

Regards.

~~Rongar
    Last edited by Rongar; 12-05-2009 at 12:14 AM.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome neighbour
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

Another German! Hahah, I only registered two days ago, and - so far - have been quietly lurking, and have yet to post my formal introduction. But, seeing this, I just had to post.

Thanks for the nice welcome.

Yes, ravells, thank you. This map is basically just for me though, as it is helping me to orient myself and to estimate the distances. But, being me, I sure want it to look nice also. I just love well-designed maps and I want mine to be worthy of showing. Or at least close to it.

Just a quick heads up. If you intend your map for print, there are considerations (such as the resolution you draw it at), also decide if you're map is going to print in colour, greyscale or black and white.

Greyscale is not just black against white but incorporates greys as well. If all you have is black in on white paper you need to be a little more imaginative about getting 'greys' like using spots of black.

Oh, I haven't even thought about printing yet. But the map itself is coloured (ancient brownish) and the resolution I'm currently working with is about 12 megapixels. If I'm going to print I'd definately like to have it coloured and readable without the paper being too large. Right now I'm thinking about a map similar to the one that came with TES:Oblivion (in case you know that one). But such a map, of course, wouldn't quite fit into the book.

However, for now I'm just happy with the map being digital. Further consideration about printing and redesigning for the book will be done once it's finished. Thanks for the heads up though.