Thread: Pangala, my first map

Guild Applicant

Wip Pangala, my first map

As the title states, this is the first map I've made using a computer. I followed RobA's guide to make it.
    I'm probably going to do the town and country labels over again, but otherwise I'm looking for help on how to improve it. Thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PangalaMapdetailWIP.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	19221
    Last edited by MinorRed; 12-06-2009 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Scewed up formay

that looks pretty good! do you have a version with higher resolution you can upload? I wanne zoom in

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree with Djekspek and would like to see a larger/higher resolution version before making any real C&C.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

From what I can tell there are only two things that need some tweaking: the coasts are too smooth (need to be more jagged) and the mountain shapes are also too smooth at the edge. Pretty nice so far, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Applicant

Wip

Here's a bigger version. I redid it because the old one was the biggest that I had. I'm still not happy with the way the mountains came out. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PangalaMapdetaillarge.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	19237

That stair-stepping you're seeing on your mountains is a result of your bump map not having enough contrast. The farther apart, brightness-wise, the darkest and lightest parts are, the more values will be present, and the less you'll be able to see the transition from one level to the next.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    That stair-stepping you're seeing on your mountains is a result of your bump map not having enough contrast. The farther apart, brightness-wise, the darkest and lightest parts are, the more values will be present, and the less you'll be able to see the transition from one level to the next.
    Also, if you throw a slight "Gaussian Blur" on the white layers before you Emboss them to make the mountains, you'll help knock down some of those issues. See my Nesspressen thread. I had the same issues, and a generous benefactor passed that tip onto me.