Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Darklands

Blog Entries

I considered it but unless you have a very uniform pattern of them I can't see how it would work if you want the range to be a specific shape. Besides, you don't typically need thousands of mountains on one map so brushes are probably much easier.

Now... hills is a different matter and might be worth trying out.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Looking good. The continent looks a little like a coiled dragon. I've always thought it'd be (a little) interesting to have fantasy folk living in a land with an unnatural shape. Be like the people living on the islands in Ringworld that don't know they're living on a manmade structure; until they developed advanced cartography, of course...then they'd have a lot of fun figuring out *why* their continent just happens to be in the shape of an orc face.
    M

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

This is looking great so far. Just the kind of quality I have come to expect from you Coyote. Keep it up!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Locution: thank you!

Ramah - funny you should say that, I was trying to think of ideas for an interesting continent shape, so I did a quick 5 second sketch of a dragon attacking a knight, then used that basic outline along with the rendered clouds/threshold adjustment layer process. So far you're the only one who's put that together, or at least commented on it

The only problem is once you've seen it, it's hard to unsee. heh!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

This is coming along pretty well. I love the ocean background. The only reservations that I have at this point is about the colors of the land. The ocean is very colorful and well done, but it looks as if all of the land colors are all the same color grouping (sort of sepia colored).

However, at this point I have only seen the small area that you have shown, so it still might work as a whole.

I've made the same observation

There is some mild mucking around for the land layer already (if you see the second image I posted, you'll see it. actually i'm pretty sure it hasn't changed since the first one).

I wanted to get the terrain layers, placements, texts etcetera added in before I do too much working around with it. i'd hate to go through all the work only to find out it's conflicting with the stuff being drawn in.

So yeah, good point, and I'll make sure to remember not to forget the background when I'm done the other elements. Thanks for the reminder

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Wip

mmkay, mountains/hills are done.

Next up, trees. this is gonna be tedious, but hey.

Then i can get the fun stuff placed and start on labels!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	agedpaper13 copy.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	19288  

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just my opinion here but I think the mountains might be too big and kill a lot of space needed for other stuff like rivers, lakes, towns, and labels. I'll have to wait and see, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm thinking you might be right.

I've always had a problem with scale when it comes to drawing in the mountains. I go way bigger than needed.

I turned these ones into brushes (and used the clone stamp method) so I may muck around and see about shrinking them some. Hopefully that works without making them look off.

My finished maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

As much as I love your ocean (and I know you do too) I am not sure it goes with the "inked with blood" theme you are after. It's nothing major (and really just my opinion) but I think the colour may be a bit too vibrant. However, it looks so good I would be loathe to change it myself were it my map.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast