Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Darklands

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I actually played around with tossing a layer over the ocean to turn it blood red. it looks kind of creepy, but might be overkill

We'll see, I'm tossing around a few ideas right now. The best part of the process is that I can change pretty much anything as I go without affecting anything else.

Redoing the mountains isn't quite so easy, hah. Right now Im taking a break from actual work though, trying to come up with an idea for the december challenge!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

It's maps that look like this that keep me motivated to keep working.

Thanks for sharing!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wip

I'm re-planning out the land features.

And while I did that, I had to tweak the colour palette one last time.

I'm still trying to decide wether to continue the blood theme, or let it go off on it's own at this point and just do that for the labels. Or basically consider the dark red as the black, and everything else derives from that. I'm tending towards the latter.

As much as i liked the previous oceans, I LOVE this version. Basically a rendered cloud layer above everything that used 2 of the parchment colours from the base, set to multiply and faded a bit so it's not so whelming. really brings it back in together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feedback.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	19311  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'd like to see you continue the blood theme, you can always go back and change the colors later for another version.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Working on another project, yay!

Going back to my roots for this one, the good old antique hand-drawn style. I'm still deciding on how to represent the mountains, forests, and other terrains - so far I haven't been happy with my sketching results. They just don't give the right feel yet. I don't have any terrain on the map yet since I'm waiting on geographical details, but that didn't stop me from getting the basic layout

This world is a very dark one, so instead of going for the soft and light colours I'd originally started with, I let the saturation creep back in. I plan on doing the terrain and labelling in a style similar to what I've done around the borders. This way it will also be consistent with the other artwork in the project.

I'm especially happy with the way the oceans turned out!
    I also like the oceans, like the contrast and saturation plus the underlying textures in the ocean... what texture(s) did you use for it? Large scaled Cloud Textures in Photoshop?

Nope, I used one of my scanned parchment textures as a base, inverted the colour, and then adjusted and painted over with layers set to multiply/overlay/whatever effect got me what I wanted

When this is all said and done, I may do it up as a tutorial assuming I remember the steps

My finished maps

I'd love to see the name "Another Ocean" survive to the finished product.

While I may do a theme map along those lines some day, that will be an unlikely occurrence for this particular one

My finished maps

Wip

I think the mountains work a bit better in this one.
    And I gave the clone stamp a workout. It was a bit tedious to do, but it really did give some great effects. And with some strategically placed overlapping, it gave some very unique hills, it's not so easy to tell it was brushes I just remembered I have to clean up a few small bits where the mountains overlap onto the land outline and such, but that's minor.
    Starting on the forests next!

I also moved a few of the places around to make more sense with the politics and history of the regions. (forgotten lands are now way off where no one goes, instead of in the middle of a heavily trafficked area, etc)

I also haven't done the blood splatter layer this time, I'm going to wait till i'm done everything to be sure the effect is consistent throughout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feedback.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	19350  

My finished maps

The mountains do indeed look a lot better. They fit in snugly with the rest of the map.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast