Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Darklands

The names themselves, but seeing as they're not yours it's irrelevant. The map looks REALLY good, which is all that matters

I think maybe he was referring to the font, not the names (edit: i posted this one second after he replied so please ignore). The font looks great but it has a certain amount of fluffiness that makes it look a bit off for some reason. Great map man, repped.

P.S.: Really liking your new avatar.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Glad you changed the size of the trees. This works out perfectly!
    Font looks pretty good as well I think...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very minor but my eyes are drawn to the redness of the trees. I know you're going for the inked in blood thing but blood doesn't stay red forever, it dries a dark reddish brown. I think you could use a bit more brown in the outer glow there. Like I said, minor, shrug.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

No, you're right. It's the same colour I'm using for the mountains, so I didn't think much past that, but the thicker lines of the mountains keeps it the deeper colour on that layer. The trees are a little more transparent, so the red is showing more. It will be adjusted for the final version, thanks!
    I just set the opacity from 75% back to 100% and it does look better. Incidentally, the base colour I'm using for everything is 530200 set to multiply. I'm not actually using any layer styles on the inked layers btw. What I did was copy each layer, then ran a Jiggle filter across (I could screenshot the settings if anyone really wants it) and followed by a gaussian blur at 1.0. That layer goes overtop of the original layer, also set to multiply. Looks like if I set the original layer to 75% opacity, it keeps some of the reddish, at 100% it's completely dried, as it were

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456