Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first map - rivers/coastlines only

Wip [wip] first map - now with elevations

Update: elevations added, further on in the thread.

This is the western hemisphere of a world I'm working - the scale is about the same as Earth, so this map covers about 12000x12000 miles.

As I'm just now getting ready to draw in the elevations, I figured it would be a good time to let the river police have a go at my map
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toh-rivers-western hemisphere.jpg 
Views:	672 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	19239  
    Last edited by moutarde; 12-11-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Okay, only major thought.

The northern peninsula that is kind of shaped like the alien's head from the Alien Movie franchise... It has a BUCKETLOAD of lakes and NO streams/rivers. Results: this place is a swamp OR this place is packed full of mountains with underground rivers in them. Both work just dandy, but you'll have to plan that area carefully.

Plus, just be careful in some areas, this is looking like a very wet, river-filled world. Otherwise I don't think the River Police will get you.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

That area is actually one of the areas I'm least satisfied with - it's a region very similar to Finland, in that it has thousands of lakes formed by the recession of glaciers, and without out any large, established drainage rivers. Most of that is too small to be drawn on this map, but I do need to figure out a way to draw those lakes better - I still feel like they're too rounded, and probably too large.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

I'm a big fan of the rivers. I like that they don't have that "straight fading line" look, but varying breadth and little islands at places, depending on terrain elevation. I'm awaiting further development.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

After a quick overview I didn't detect any 'river violations'.

Though I wonder how many of these rivers would actually be visible at this scale?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That's a really good point Steel General... Now that I really look at it, I should probably shave a pixel or so off all those rivers. I really don't think they'd be visible at this scale where they start up in the mountains. Thanks

I can't wait to see the mountains being roughed in. Some of the rivers look a little funky, but they will work as long as the terrain justifies it.

No honest comment. Just alot of rivers..... godspeed
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

I don't know why, but I really like the layout of this. I find the land shape hold a ton of interest. Everywhere I look something catches the eye with a bit of, "oooh, that's sweet". Too many great things to list them all.

No comments on the rivers. I think it has been said.

Waiting on the elevations. The rivers have given me a vision of what the elevations will be like, I really want to see what you do with it.

Wip

Painted in the elevations, but without any nice textures. Plan was to use this a reference for the actual textures I wanted to put in, but I've realized I probably need to make this map at least 4 times bigger than in it is, and spend about 50 times more effort on the little details for me to be happy with it

Also did some math to scale the rivers properly, which meant erasing them all! Whoops This work as it stands now will be only be used as reference material for myself now, for regional maps of the continent. A fully detailed maps of these continents as whole is most likely not in cards for a long, long time...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	western hemisphere elevation map.jpg 
Views:	766 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	19365  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast