Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CityEngine - 3D modeling software for urban environments

Who knows? I didn't build the city....I just played inside it awhile...I think I am probably going to get this though but it's just the bloody time factor. I've got that Messiah software sitting and waiting to be used, I've got my font making software which I forked out quite a bit for which is now lying fallow. I've building a website which is tying my brain in knots....so much software and not enough time!

I've had a chance to play with it even more, and I have to say I'm getting more and more impressed with CE. They have kindly invited me to a Demo in London on 7th April, which I've accepted. I'll report back!

That's pretty awesome. You'll have to let us know how that goes and what they showed you that was really impressive. I'm sure they do some mind blowing stuff.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Is the engine 2-stroke or 4-stroke...fuel-injected or turbo? If it's anything over 1-stroke then I'm toast.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It's not as tough a learning curve as I first thought for the most part. Where it does get complicated is when you want to custom design your own building patterns.

WOW.

Slowly getting a grasp on this program. Though my machine is far too underpowered for it.

I have come close to getting the heightmap and streetlayout (obstacle) to co-ordinate with the AD&D map I am trying to replicate.

I converted my original map for three input methods.
    1 is to garner the heightmap on greyscale. Got it close but need to blur it more for smoother elevations.
    2 is for the topography a map for reference if you will. Might determine housing selection also
    3 is for streets or Obstacle as they call it. Need to get this one correct, just straight black and white, white being streets.

Figuring out the map size and elevation to suit the original map is trial and error.

So far this is what I achieved, but it has too many buildings overall, and buildings aren't in all of the city sectors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3dsuzail.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	442.8 KB 
ID:	34557

That looks really cool Danjr. So are you tracing the major streets by hand or using the obtacle map? I've been trying to import my streets as DXFs but not succeeding as CE doesn't recognise Drawplus DXF exports, but making streets using the obstacle map looks like a good work around!

Wow!

I'm really impressed with your results with CityEngine 3D.

This one is on my buying list for sure. I intend to use it together with Vue9 Infinite in my next project which is to map cities from Greyhawk. I have fiddled around with Vue for a couple of years as a study thing and now I'm confident I will be able to make really cool things with it and CityEngine will be a very useful addon.

//Anna
    //Anna

My map is in Campaign Cartographer 3 so it is really easy to isolate the things I need for each aspect of the three imported file types. (heightmap, topography & obstacle/streets)

After I isolate the streets I converted it to black and white. It worked ok but I did it a second time by widening the streets with a paint brush.
    I am thinking that I may have to make a better version of the greyscale heightmap so the elevations are much smoother. Figuring that may have to be done with shapes and gradients.
    I'll post another image if I can get a smoother heightmap.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123