Thread: The Imperium of Arál Draván

Post The Imperium of Arál Draván

This project is the first in a series of maps I'm doing for a friend of mine. I've never really made a map to someone else's specifications, so that alone made this an interesting project. I'm still a novice with Photoshop and I learned quite a bit while making this map.

Here is the [WIP] thread. http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7858

Thanks to all those who gave me suggestions while I was working on this map...you all contributed to me learning more about photoshop. Many thanks to Pasis for his awesome tutorial and to Coyotemax for a couple of the textures of his I used (specifically, the water and cultivated textures). Also thanks to my friend Gary, for the opportunity to do some mapping for him.

The map and its contents are the copyright property of Gary N. Mengle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aral-Dravan-final.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	19317  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Can't see anything to critique. Nice map!
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Bravo!!! *clap clap clap*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I am delighted with it!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Gary, did you provide all the names, and their locoations in relation to each other?

Was this communicated via a rough sketch map, or in words?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Gary, did you provide all the names, and their locoations in relation to each other?

Was this communicated via a rough sketch map, or in words?
    The base map for the world was generated and tweaked fairly heavily (by me) in FT Pro. I extracted a "map blank" of this particular region (one of four 'important' regions on Ytherra,) to CC3, labeled it up and sent it to Cereth. Numerous requests for various clarifications and especially more names for features followed as the project progressed, which I also sent along. The original CC3 map had probably 30% of the total needed names on it; several later versions of that same map got sent as time went on with more names added.

When we got pretty far along on the project, Cereth got a lot of notes from me to the tune of "we need two more towns in area X; here's some names. Place them however you see fit." So I'd say that the physical arrangement of features is 90-95% mine, and the names are 100% mine. But Cereth did the the real work to make the map functional and pretty, which I had struggled with (literally) for years.