Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vaniya mk II

K, thnx Ramah. While I fiddle around with that I have one more question. what sort of brush did you use, I tired looking for the "spatter" brush defined Tear's tut but can't find it, did you find it?

Will rep you as soon as i spread some more rep around.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Blog Entries

No I didn't. I just used a smallish soft brush with about mid-level opacity. My forests aren't finished though and I do intend to go back around the edges and sort them out.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thnx again

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Blog Entries

Ok, I thought I'd update this thread with what I have at the moment. The map has been stuck on this stage since a day or two after I last posted here but I don't have the time to carry on with this right now. So I'll post what I have and get back to this as and when I'm able.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya_mk2_2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	19679

So I spent a while editing the base layer to include all the changes I made to it with the Aronbor and Perdon maps. So lots of extra rivers, a little editing on the coastlines, Maloglash increasing in size and a few other things.
    As you can see I was playing around with the grass colour, trying to find somthing that looked nice without demanding that the sea colour be changed to suit it.
    I spent a little time working on the mountains but they still need a bit more on them. I was in the middle of testing out some labels as you can see when I stopped work on it.
    Anyway, for now work on this has stopped but I'll definitely get back on to this sometime in the new year.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good, man. The river stroke looks a bit dominating so if those are on their own layer I might cut that down to 1 pixel or lower the opacity if it's already a 1-pixel stroke.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

This is gorgeous!

To get rid of the pixellation of the river strokes just select the layer mask of the land layer and adjust the Levels using an Input Levels setting of around 32/1.00/255

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is looking very nice, though you might consider lowering the opacity/changing the color of the stroke on your coastlines. It is very 'dominating' compared to the other, more subtle colors used.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post
    To get rid of the pixellation of the river strokes just select the layer mask of the land layer and adjust the Levels using an Input Levels setting of around 32/1.00/255
    This worked like a charm. On top of that I also lowered the opacity down like Ascension and SG reccomended to about 16% which looks a lot better. I quite liked it being a strong colour but I guess it was a little too much on the rivers. My base map was the one I used originally for Vaniya so unlike Tear's tutorial, which puts the rivers on later and so theyaren't stroked like the coast, mine were already in my base layer.

Anyway, cheers for the views.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12