Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaniya mk II

Blog Entries

Post Vaniya mk II

Hey all.

I thought I'd make a WIP thread for this map because although it started as a test run for Tear's tutorial, I'm loving working on it and I fully intend to finish it.
    Anyway... here's where I'm at so far...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya_mk2_1.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	19320

As you can see I still have a lot of work to do on it. Many of the layers are only half completed or even only just started in order to get the layer styles up and running, such as the mountain peaks and the ice layer.
    I also want to go back and alter the base map to take into account the changes I made on the Aronbor and Perdon maps, but the way this map is created with so many styles that should be an absolute breeze to do.

I'm really looking forward to doing the labelling on this one. Not only do I already have most of the names anyway, but I will no longer be hampered by an unwillingness to use glows and strokes due to it being hand-drawn style.

Edit: And oh yeah, I'm currently using the outside of one of Coyotemax's parchment papers. It may change before the end but thanks for it.
    Last edited by Ramah; 12-10-2009 at 12:27 PM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

That's looking pretty awesome! I look forward to seeing more.

I may have to go give that tutorial a run myself.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Praise

this is a great example of what happens when two cartographic geniuses collide... brilliant!

i might tweak the contrast a bit when you are done... it looks a bit faded...

but this is an absolutely gorgeous map (especially the mountains.)

i must spread more rep around.

I like the soft colors. The different terrains are still easily distinguished (at least for someone with full color vision), so I don't see a need to change them. This is a very nice start.

Wow! Great looking map!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

And here I thought Vaniya couldn't get any better!

Beautiful work, Ramah. I'd love to know how you did your mountains. Is there a tutorial around that could help me? I think I could vastly improve my map (The Known World, I think you commented on it recently) by following some of the cues in yours.
    _ben

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Glad something I did could be of help

This is coming along very nicely!!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Hey, i thought i posted something before, but nice map Ramah.

I'm trying the same style on one of my maps, Tear tut is great for anyone who hasn't read it, and I've hit a snag. I'm using a land colour very similar to yours but my forests have come out... strange. What settings are you using for yours?

Really like to see this finished, should be great.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments guys.

LonewandererD: I saw in your post in Tear's tut that you were having problems with the forest. Hmm, well the forest layer is very dependent on what is below it. It gets most of its colour from the grass, land and elevation layers.
    So first thing I'd look at was the grass layer. Paint on your mask to make sure it is a uniform colour such as solid white. If you have darker or lighter spots on your mask then it will show through as lighter and darker colour on your forests.
    Your land colour layer has an influence on your grass colour so if you've altered that at all (like I did for my mountain colour) then that could alter the shade under forests.
    The elevation layer gives you the general undulations of the land and has a bevel on it so any under your forest will cause shadows and light spots, so try painting on the mask in black to get rid of all elevations under the forest if you don't want this.
    Umm, not sure what else to say. My settings on my forest are completely the same as Tear's tutorial directs me to have.

Edit: Oh, and of course make sure you don't have light and dark spots on your forest mask.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast